Bad death wobble

• Here is the issue. I have a 2004 TJ Rubicon with a 2.5 suspension lift and a 1 inch body lift. I still have the OEM size tires and wheels on the jeep. The tires are an all season tire with tread still on them. I put on a RC steering stabilizer along with new control arms, track bar, coil springs, and tie rod. I also put on new wheel and axle bearings. Checked all parts and everything is tight. When I get to 55mph, the front end shakes like crazy and feels like the front end is going to come apart, not that it will, just seems like it. I have to back down the speed in order to get the wobble to stop.
    I have no idea what is wrong. Could it be the axle, steering column, steering box, pit man arm?
    Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

• after you drive feel your wheels with the back of your hand. I one wheel is hot compared to the other you have a brake stuck caliper, which will cause bad death wobble at speed. I would start there.

• Did you do an alignment? You want about 1/8 inch toe in. Assuming you just installed the lift, the slight rotation of the axle might be magnifying an existing problem. Check all lock nuts/sleeve on the tie rod ends and make sure everything is tight/secure. When installing your control arms, did you tighten them with the jeep on the ground? It is recommended so everything is “loaded” . Death wobble can be a pain to track down....could also be tire balance. Might want to rotate and see if t helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Yes, did an alignment. Put the lift on about six months ago. Checked everything and all is tight. I did the control arms on a lift, but have checked them a few times to make sure they are tight. I have not rotated tires, but will try that. The wobble is really bad.

• Have someone turn the wheel back and forth about 90 degrees while you get under and look at everything from the steering box to the wheels. Look for slack or play at any junction. You might be able to see it.

• I agree. I would start by checking everything out while someone rocks the steering, unlock the column but don't start it. Put your hands on all of the joints to inspect. A good joint should not move, make sure you check the track bar. Even with a new track bar, if the mounting hole is worn on either end you can get a bad vibration. If all of that feels good then I would rotate the tires. One that is out of balance could easily cause the issue. Death wobble is always a pain to diagnose.

• death wobble usually comes from the front track bar being loose, not loose like you can move with your hand, there can be a 1/32 of an inch play between the joint & the bolt or the bolt & the bracket on the frame or the axle. a small amount of play at either end translates into a lot of movement at the wheels at speed. you won't be able to by hand but the will be a slight movement when someone turns the steering wheel. mine had the slightest amount of wear on the bolt & a little oveling at the frame bracket.

• I may have seen you driving up Lancaster Pike a week ago. Stockish looking TJ driving with the front tires hopping up and down really bad.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!