Failed inspection - tire width

• I took my Cj-7 through the DMV tonight and passed everything except for tire width. They told me the tires are only allowed to stick out past the fender flares one inch and mine were two inches. I have 33x12.50’s and thought I would be fine.....looks like they have tightened up on that rule quite a bit.

Does anyone have a set of small tires I could borrow for inspection purposes (5x5.5 bolt pattern)? I could get them back to you the same day I borrow. I live in Middletown.

• Are you running 10" wide rims or 8" wide?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• looks like 10" rims from that pic

I'm running 33 x 12s on 8" rims. They'll suck the tire width in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have a set of stock TJ wheels/tires just for inspections. If you can find a set of 1" adapters from someone then you're welcome to use my wheels/tires to get through the lanes. I'd think even with the 1" adapters the OEM backspacing on little tires should tuck in okay.

• I think I am going to try to stick something to my flares to make them wider and try again. Maybe some sort of rubber weatherstripping that is shaped like an L.

Your best bet is to borrow a set of smaller rims and tires. But if that doesn't work you can do what I call the go go gadget fenders. I use Plastic Lawn Edging I use this. I just screw it to my fenders but they are kind of beat so I don't mind making holes.

• Im looking. 5x5.5 is not a very common bolt pattern anymore. I am going to hit Home Depot today to see if I can find something that I can use as a fender flare extension. I am hoping i can find something smaller, due to the fact that I am using stock CJ flares.

• I have a set of rims and tires that are 5 x 5.5 but the tires are the 33 x 11.5 wide I believe. The rims are off a of a ford bronco so I think they are 7.5" wide with more back spacing then a typical aftermarket rim. I know they suck in my jeeps width by like 4" a side compared to my 35 x 12.5 tires with 10" rims.

Your welcome to try them if you wish or at least see if they will suck your width in the 1" you need.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!