Fixing a leaky aluminum radiator

• I've got an Flexalite radiator in my jeep that has started to have a small leak. I priced a new radiator and it was pretty expensive.

Has anyone ever used any of those low temperature aluminum brazing rods to fix a radiator?

What brand did you wind up using?

• I attempted to braze an aluminum fan shroud, since my mig welder does not have the option to add a spool gun. It did not work out well for me. I ended up riveting the shroud together. I found the melting point of the aluminum angle to be too close the the brazing rod that I was using.

• my friend has used regular alum wire and tig to fix leaky rads with 0 issues, better than original!

• I honestly don’t know exactly where it is leaking. I need to pull it out and pressurize it and hit it with some soap to pin point it. I believe it’s leaking where one of the tubes connects to header.

It doesn’t leak when it’s cold nor when it’s hot. Only while it’s heating up.

I was hoping if it’s leaking where I believe it is I could cut some of the fins out and basically use some type of brazing rod to fill the leaking tube to header connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!