new Jeep JL info released!

• This week is the LA Auto Show, where the 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) is being officially released. This is the first article I've seen with info: http://autoweek.com/article/lo…ons-and-details-reavealed and a bunch of specs and photos posted here: http://www.jlwranglerforums.co…ecs-info-wallpapers.2073/ another (better?) article: http://www.roadandtrack.com/ca…-wrangler-official-specs/

Some tidbits...

2 motor options at launch, 2.0L I-4 turbo gas motor and the current 3.6L V6 gas motor.
    The new 4-cylinder motor will have 270HP @5250rpm and 295ft-lbs TQ @3000rpm, compared to the 285HP @6400rpm and 260ft-lbs @4800rpm. However, the 4-cyl needs premium gas to hit those specs.
    The 3.0L diesel will be coming later in 2018.
    It appears that the Sahara will have an optional Full-Time 4x4 transfer case, and the Sahara package will only be on the 4-doors.
    A new 8-speed auto transmission will come with all motors.
    The Rubicon will now come with BFG AT KO2 tires in 285/70/17 (33").
    Electric-hydraulic steering pump.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• The only thing I really saw that I wasn't too keen on was the lighting... more specific, the tail lights and the fender mounted front markers/turns. Other than that, I really like the throwback design to the classic dash. Can't wait for that diesel truck option!

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• at 3:50 eastern today we will see it from the auto-mobilty show release, our video team is there doing some coverage, LA auto show is next week, just a regular philly style auto show :thumbdown:

• I watched the live Quadratec feed, like Kuntryboy said the only thing I really don't like is the front turn signals (really don't like those) and the tail lights (better than the Renegade but still fugly). Does it have angel eyes/led circle on the head lights? If so I don't like that either. On other cars it's cool but not on the Wrangler.

They announced an all electric model for 2020 which I think was breaking news, I don't think I heard that before. The torque from an electric motor should be really interesting offroad. Rausch Creek is gonna need some charging stations lol.

• They announced an all electric model for 2020 which I think was breaking news, I don't think I heard that before. The torque from an electric motor should be really interesting offroad. Rausch Creek is gonna need some charging stations lol.

I'm wondering how fast batteries would get drained down off road. Rocks and thick mud would require a heavier load to spin the tires. (not to mention running larger tires to begin with)

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I watched the live Quadratec feed, like Kuntryboy said the only thing I really don't like is the front turn signals (really don't like those) and the tail lights (better than the Renegade but still fugly). Does it have angel eyes/led circle on the head lights? If so I don't like that either. On other cars it's cool but not on the Wrangler.

They announced an all electric model for 2020 which I think was breaking news, I don't think I heard that before. The torque from an electric motor should be really interesting offroad. Rausch Creek is gonna need some charging stations lol.

Not to be picky but they announced a PHEV, not an all-electric EV....two different things.

I'm wondering how fast batteries would get drained down off road. Rocks and thick mud would require a heavier load to spin the tires. (not to mention running larger tires to begin with)

Depending on the size of the battery pack likely fairly quickly. I found the idea of a PHEV wrangler pretty intriguing as my commuter is a gen2 volt and for DD duties I'm digging the electrics. Keep in mind that the 4cyl is already going to be hybrid-ized from the start, just not plugin. Note that once the pack is exhausted the plugin version will likely function like a normal hybrid and the electric motor will still be available to assist but the energy will come from the ICE and regen. To compare my volt averages around 4mi/kwh in mixed driving and is fairly sensitive to rolling resistance, speed, and temp...I'd bet a brick on wheels with even AT's would be in the 2-3range. The rating is 53mi on the 14kwh of usable power (Chevy doesn't allow you to fully use the pack to lengthen the lifespan) but I've seen from 40-70mi depending on conditions, hvac use, etc. If they offered a similar range I'd trade in a heartbeat but I suspect it'll be similar to other PHEV's with only a 20-ish mi range.

--Ian

• External Content www.youtube.com

One of the official videos from Jeep... at the 32 second mark, you'll see our @Quadratec forum rep make a muddy appearance in a TJ!

Jerry / Whatevah

• I liked this walk through

https://youtu.be/R9O0q4AwK1E

We want to get a 4door. I really like the 3.6, but this is tempting to try the new electric.

A big technology change like this falls under one of my rules: Never by a first year production.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I gotta say, I do like this... The interior styling is impressive. If I wasn't planning for the 2019 pickup, I'd be very tempted to trade in my JK on a 2018 or 2019 JL.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Some FAQ info... some good info here: http://www.jlwranglerforums.co…om-the-la-show-debut.2158

Only 4-doors will be built until February, then the 2-doors will be added to the production lines.
    Rubicons will come standard with highline fenders, 2" higher than Sport/Sahara, to allow fitment of 35s without a lift.
    Saharas and Rubicons come standard with a "big brake" package.
    While non-Rubicons come with a D35 rear axle, it's stronger than "normal" D35 axles, specifically thicker tubes and stronger end forgings.

Looks like the Rubicons will be even more popular than before!

Jerry / Whatevah

• Info from another thread...

Rubicon JLs continue the tradition of using Dana solid axles with the 44 designation. However, these are new axles based on Dana’s new AdvanTEK architecture that don’t share anything with the JK’s next-gen 44s, which didn’t share much with the TJ 44s. The new JL axles are stronger and feature a different ring and pinion gears (210mm/8.27-in front and 220mm/8.66-in rear on Rubicon) compared to 8.8-in on the JK. The Rubicon’s “44s” have been beefed up with thicker wall tubes and are stuffed with 4.10 gears and Tru-Lok electric lockers that can be engaged on the fly up to 30mph in 4-Lo.

front-axle disconnect (FAD) returns to help boost fuel-economy, albeit in a more durable electric form, not the troublesome vacuum system of the past. Thankfully, Jeep engineers have JL owners intent on replacing their front axle covered with a software workaround that allows the FAD to be disabled by the dealer. The lug pattern remains 5x5, but wheel studs are now 14mm for improved strength.

I think most aluminum wheels should still work, as long as the hubs are the same size. Steel wheels might be a little tight though, since they're almost all lug-centric.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Until everyone finds out they're gonna cost 50k

I guess you're referring to the photo of a window sticker with a $45K base price on a Sahara. That's generally considered to be a glitched pre-production thing, since the description-less option codes on the sticker (like the hardtop) don't have prices. That might be a MSRP of a Sahara with a few options, but is more likely an arbitrary number they put down to be able to print the sticker. While we don't know what the options and packages will cost, the general word has been a $2500 base price increase over a JK. Yes, a current fully-loaded 4-door Rubicon Recon now can top $52K (dual tops, high end radio, premium leather seats, bigger rock rails, steel bumpers, diff guards, etc), but you can get a more stripped down 4-door Rubicon with auto trans, remote start and tow package for $41K. Of course, that's MSRP... actual buying price is 2-3K lower if you can negiotiate or use a friends/family discount.

Added...
    Some possible info on base pricing, as of August...

Jerry / Whatevah

Edited 2 times, last by whatevah ().

• And here's a standard/optional equipment list! I got this from the FCA media site.

• Take 3....it turns out there is an all electric version coming in addition to the PHEV. https://www.quadratec.com/c/bl…ll-electric-wrangler-2020

I guess you're referring to the photo of a window sticker with a $45K base price on a Sahara.

It was more of a general statement that the price is gonna go up. I didn't see that "leak". A 7-8% increase isn't bad.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!