JK Remote start with no keyless entry

• Looking into putting remote start into wifey's 2009 JKU. It is a base model with manual doors/windows (no keyless entry). I understand the easiest way to do this is to buy the OEM remote start module since it's plug-and-play, but this requires the keyless entry module. Therefore, I'm going aftermarket. I'm not worried about adding door locks or alarm, and only need a basic 1-button, 1-way remote start system. Amazon has the Avital 4115L that looks like it will suit my needs (http://a.co/3E8EyUS).
    Does anyone have any experience with these?
    Do JK's without keyless entry still have a security system or anything that requires a bypass module?

• I'm pretty sure all of the JKs have the "Sentry" key, which is the transponder/immobilizer system. The key will only run for a few seconds and shut off if you don't have the correct key. Used to be that that the Sentry keys were a thicker design that the standard black key, typically gray or tan, but it's been a while since I've been a key for a manual-lock JK...

If you have a tan or gray key, I'd feel pretty comfortable that you have the Sentry key. Most places that cut replacement keys have a little test machine that'll tell you if you have a plain or transponder key.

That remote start is generic, and should need to be paired with an immobilizer bypass module. There's no detailed install sheet for that remote start, though so I don't know how you'd wire it all into your Jeep. I have power locks, so I went with the Fortin remote start that has the built-in bypass... sadly, they don't make a kit with its own key fob.

I might suggest checking with the local shops that do remote starts and see what they're charging... Sound of Tristate, Audio Jam, etc. Might be worth the hassle if they have one installed for a decent price.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I've checked with a few shops locally, and they are in the $300 ballpark. I've installed remote starts in older 90's-era cars without the fancy electronics, so I understand the basics, and thought it wouldn't be hard to do since I'm not worried about door locks or anything else. The JK has a grey key with no fob at all (no keyless entry). Was hoping that for $45 and an afternoon I could get this installed in my garage - I'm just not familiar with what I would need from a bypass module perspective.

• I start by checking Crutchfield. There you can find the bypass module that will work for your Jeep. I bought a Fortin for my wife's TL, it has a built in bypass module. I got it installed and with about 4 hours of Crutchfield Tech support it still would only start and shutoff. Ended up returning it and had Sound of Tristate install one. Dropped off and picked up same day. I got the two way so you know it started when you can't see it.

• I was In the car Audio profession for years. (MECP certified) The newer vehicles are a pain. You can easily mess somethings up. They do make some sweet integration modules now, but they are not cheap. I’ve had AudioWorks in newark do the last 5 vehicles for me. They do great work .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!