New Years Jeep Resolutions

• Does anybody have a Jeep Resolution for the New Year they'd like to share?

I've got a few projects I need to do that I never got around to last year... One is a rear fender storage rack, that will definitely happen when it warms up a little. And, maybe build a custom drawer/storage shelf. I only intend to have the JK for another year, so might not build that.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I got one. Get my Scrambler inspected, tag, insured, and driving. Paint it. Get it to the PA Jeep show. Wheel it at least once. Getting the built 60's I have bolted in is a pipe dream so I gotta stick with the 44's for a while. Install the Rockkhard rear cage I have had for 2 years now. Take the 1/2 hardtop off and enjoy a topless Jeep in the summer and put the full hardtop on in the fall.

Edit: change OBA tank for better one, add Grover air horn, and plumb air outlets to bumpers. Install LED lights on bumpers and under for rock lights. Install a tachometer. "Pretty up" the 401 and engine bay.

All this (except the 60's)would have been already done if I had a garage to work in at my house

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• I've been wanting to build a spare tire carrier for about 5 years now. Too much going on at home to even start. Maybe this year!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• 1. Revisit and finish the Pathfinder tire carrier project asap
    2. Paint/Monstaline exterior
    3. Reinstall the stereo, run wire to the speakers and possibly install a powered sub unit
    4. HEI upgrade
    5. Alternator upgrade
    6. Rewire gauge panel
    7. Get speedometer working
    8. Roll bar covers made or bought
    9. Install supplemental interior lighting
    10. Axle upgraded to 8.8 w/ 4:10s
    11. Small misc nickle & dime stuff done (ie. oil pan gasket, rear main seal, etc.)
    12. Possibly move back to an OEM rear hatch door and ditch the CJ tailgate
    13. Mount the Jerry Can somewhere on/in the Jeep
    14. Plan out some upgrades/mods in regards to overlanding/camping
    15. Trade it in for a truck?

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• My plan as of right now is to pull the engine, transmission, transfer case and wiring harness out of the 2003 Silverado I bought to use as the donor for my YJ. I'm still on the fence as to if I'll rebuild the engine before I install it or just get it in and running and look for another engine and rebuild it at a later date.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• My plan as of right now is to pull the engine, transmission, transfer case and wiring harness out of the 2003 Silverado I bought to use as the donor for my YJ. I'm still on the fence as to if I'll rebuild the engine before I install it or just get it in and running and look for another engine and rebuild it at a later date.

Seems dumb to install it twice. Your Jeep runs now. I'd drive it as you determine how much freshening up the V8 needs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Seems dumb to install it twice. Your Jeep runs now. I'd drive it as you determine how much freshening up the V8 needs.

Easy for me to swap a engine, I'm thinking get the 5.3L and 4L60E transmission in and running this year and build another next winter with more power!

Neill

• I have a long list for my new Commando. I think this next year will include plenty of body work/modifications along with mounting the body to the frame. I'd like to set the drivetrain and build the cage too. It should be a busy year but it will keep my current YJ in one piece and wheeling. Which is my other resolution, I plan to wheel at least twice this year. I want to take my 4 year old out once.

• After fixing what breaks along the way ... my short list...

Redo exhaust.
    Rear CV shaft / rotate rear axle up
    Upgrade brakes
    Install offset ball joints to bring in camber
    Rust and body mount repair.
    Tie roll cage into frame.
    Add roll cage gussets and supports.
    perhaps some paint.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Looooong to-do list here...divided into short and longer term

Immediate tasks:

• Finish brake replumbing work on CJ10
    • Replace the damn radiator AGAIN in the JK....should be warranty, was just replaced last Jan/Feb
    • Fix xfer case shifter on CJ10...need to source replacement for ball joint on twin sticks
    • Finish wiring cleanup work on CJ10 (Install ignition lock, reroute wiring through grommeted holes in FW vs through floor, loom/tape everything, convert remaining connections to weatherpack)
    • Redo intake and downpipe on CJ10 (replumb intake w/ 4" getting rid of unnecessary adapters/couplers, add heat shield for air filter, add prefilter on the 6637 filter, hardmount exhaust/lower d/p and add flex in middle to eliminate vibes, wrap d/p, add turbo blanket)
    • Clean up yellow TJ for possible sale in spring (fix leaky ARB o-ring, remove winch, give flares, frame, bumpers, rockers a fresh coat of paint)
    • Install front swaybar on CJ10
    • C-notch crossmember on CJ10 to allow driveshaft clearance on full compression
    • Add power/lights in shop to facilitate working on these damn projects

Longer term:

• Interior upholstery cleanup/redo on CJ10
    • Relocate doors on shop/convert sliding doors to roll-up
    • Concrete, concrete, concrete....pour shop floor to facilitate working and allow lift install
    • Install the lift currently laying on the dirt floor
    • Finish suspension/steering re-do on tan TJ
    • Redo rear of cage on tan TJ to repair damage and allow rear seat
    • Convert CJ10 rear suspension to link/airbag
    • Move CJ10 fuel tank and batteries to be frame mounted to allow removal of bed box
    • Convert bed on CJ10 to dump bed. Sandblast, rust repair, and paint/bedline at same time

--Ian

• Damn thats a long list I feel like I need to take a nap after just reading it. Sorry to hear the JK needs a radiator again.

Neill

• I have just 2 of these in my garage and they are bright as all get out!! I'm going to be adding 2 more to the backside of the garage to replace an older flourescent fixture in the near future. Cheap and bright LEDs fill the bill in my book!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Li…N-40K-80CRI-DNA/301158095

• I have just 2 of these in my garage and they are bright as all get out!! I'm going to be adding 2 more to the backside of the garage to replace an older flourescent fixture in the near future. Cheap and bright LEDs fill the bill in my book!

Just bought 2 LED light fixtures myself. Need to replace the old fluorescent lights (which stopped working long time ago)

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• John, you can convert your existing housings to accept LED bulbs if you want. My old housings were crappy flickering/buzzing T12s and as the ballasts died I would convert them to take LED bulbs (Amazon). Didn't have to replace the housings and they are amazingly bright.

30x50 pole barn's gonna need a few more than 2. I was planning on going w/ the 4' Costco LED units, they seem to get decent reviews over on garagejournal. I bought 2 to test and think my plan of 16 in the main shop should work perfect. Issue is mainly running the new circuits...16' to the bottom of the trusses. My shop was setup as a horse barn when we bought the place so it has stall lights along the walls and 2x 8' fluorescents.

John, you can convert your existing housings to accept LED bulbs if you want. My old housings were crappy flickering/buzzing T12s and as the ballasts died I would convert them to take LED bulbs (Amazon). Didn't have to replace the housings and they are amazingly bright.

Yup, did the same in our laundry room. Just be careful, the ones I got from Lowes royally sucked and didn't put out much light at all even after bypassing the ballast (they we supposed to work either with the ballast or direct wired). I ended up getting these from Amazon and was 100% happy.

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!