Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Replace the entire linkage kit. Not that hard.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• What am I looking for here, John? I've never messed with the wipers on a CJ let alone peered in at the linkage from that angle.

Classic CJ windshield frame issue. Metal is thin and the torque from the pivot arm weakens the frame area, causing it to misaligned and bend. Normally you replace the frame but mine is painted and I just put new glass in it. So I've been trying other means.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• That's a drag for sure! If you want some help to fab up a heavier pivot let me know,I'd be happy to do it. I'm pretty sure the link rods can be straightened also, and probably beefed up a bit as well.
    The ones on my old 5 gave up one night going over some mountain between WVU and Wheeling in a snowstorm (one of those stupid college things), and I had to finish the trip with a hand scraper out the window.

• I had banged out the pivot area on the windshield frame (bubbled out for strength from the factory). This is the area that typically crushes when things go askew. I did the typical fix of inserting a fender washer to beef the area up. Even tried epoxing it in but that's difficult to do in this weather. I'll have to tear into it again.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I had banged out the pivot area on the windshield frame (bubbled out for strength from the factory). This is the area that typically crushes when things go askew. I did the typical fix of inserting a fender washer to beef the area up. Even tried epoxing it in but that's difficult to do in this weather. I'll have to tear into it again.

Still get the new linkage kit. Since it operates smoother thann your old worn links it won't bind and tweek out the frame. Root cause is the worn links.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Still get the new linkage kit. Since it operates smoother thann your old worn links it won't bind and tweek out the frame. Root cause is the worn links.

I'm thinking about that but I'm really not happy with the weak design. Of course the argument is that it lasted how many years with no issues so....

Big thing is to beef up the hole area since it is now weakened from being bent, rebent, and bent again.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'm thinking about that but I'm really not happy with the weak design. Of course the argument is that it lasted how many years with no issues so....
    Big thing is to beef up the hole area since it is now weakened from being bent, rebent, and bent again.

Do you have enough area to access the linkage and tack weld a reinforcement piece in there maybe? I think I would take Andy up on his idea/offer to fab up a stronger linkage.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I thought I saw them for $37 yesterday somewhere. I'll order something today.

Big thing to remember is DISCONNECT THE POWER before sticking your fingers into the bound up linkage. The switch stores power to return the wipers back to starting position.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• found this tid bit of info:

I also found If the wiper linkage binds or stops, to loosen the wiper motor mounting bolts slightly, enough to allow the motor to shift and run the wiper motor one or two cycles to let the motor reposition itself and then retighten.

AMC engineering at it's best.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• That's a drag for sure! If you want some help to fab up a heavier pivot let me know,I'd be happy to do it. I'm pretty sure the link rods can be straightened also, and probably beefed up a bit as well.
    The ones on my old 5 gave up one night going over some mountain between WVU and Wheeling in a snowstorm (one of those stupid college things), and I had to finish the trip with a hand scraper out the window.

I may take you up on that offer. I have my old frame which didn't have this problem. I am thinking of cutting out the pivot area on that one and putting it inside my messed up frame to beef the area up. Something simple. Have to look into it a little more.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!