will it lock or not

• I have a 2001 Cherokee that the door locks work for a while , then don't work for a while. I hear either a relay or an actuator when I hit the lock button, but doesn't lock. Does this sound familiar to anybody ?

thanks Bob

• Sorry, never had that problem with mine. Are you using a keyfob or the switch on the door? Is this for all of them, or just one that doesn't work? I'm assuming it's all of them.

A few ideas... try manually locking and unlocking all of the doors. See if any of them stick and try to work them enough to smooth it out a little. Try using the passenger door switch, test lock and unlock, that's supposed to be the master for the lock system. If that works, try the keyfob again. And, check the fuses... I can't remember if that one is behind the front passenger kick panel or under the hood.

You might have to open up the passenger door panel and inspect the wiring and circuit board. The passenger door is master for the power locks, drivers door is master for the power windows. Assuming the cracked wires in the door jam are fixed, folks have had good luck in putting fresh solder on the circuit board. Here are a couple YouTube videos that might help if that's the case.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    You can replace the switch units, but since they're all pulled from scrap vehicles, they might already be bad.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• My XJ does the same thing... door locks work intermittently. Often the doors won’t lock with the key fob. I’ll try the drivers door ditch and it sometimes works but Usually if I go to the passenger side and move that switch a few times the locks will work. I was pretty sure it was just my passenger side (master switch) but after reading Jerry’s post I may investigate the door wiring as I know that speaker doesn’t work. :shrug:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• My XJ does the same thing... door locks work intermittently. Often the doors won’t lock with the key fob. I’ll try the drivers door ditch and it sometimes works but Usually if I go to the passenger side and move that switch a few times the locks will work. I was pretty sure it was just my passenger side (master switch) but after reading Jerry’s post I may investigate the door wiring as I know that speaker doesn’t work. :shrug:

I do need to fix the speaker wiring in the yellow XJ for my brother when I get a chance... door speaker no workie. Locks are still good though. :) The speaker wiring must be more brittle, I guess... a common failure for XJs.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I trying to remember what I did to fix my old 2000 XJ when it had this same problem, I believe I found a broken wire in the R/F door jam area, I know I had this problem on and off for a few years and it always seemed to happen after a few days of rain.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• thanks for all the replies. I do have a problem with the wiring going to the drivers door. years ago I spliced these back together; but I still have the speakers going in and out. Does anyone know if the wire harness for the door can be bought.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!