Anyone been fishing in 2018?

• Has anyone ventured out and made any fishing trips yet this year? We normally fish into December and pick it back up in March. We wrapped it up early last year on November 25th with a Susky kayak trip. It was getting to the point if you wound up in the water without a dry suit you were going to be in trouble so we ended the year. Although beautiful I had limited success on our year end finale.

We had some good trips last year. I caught my largest catfish ever(blue cat), my first flathead catfish and we fished off shore 60 miles for tuna out of a kayak. We manged to catch a tiger shark but no one landed a tuna.

I'm all licensed up for three states, a pelagic HMS permit and two non-hunting trespassing permits and am ready to to get 2018 going.

Has anyone been out and had any luck?

Last trip of 2017

• We went to Ocean City for the St Patrick's day parade and we usually take a ride to Assateague when we're there but it was just too cold when we got up so I didn't take any fishing gear.

• I was hoping someone would say I was at x last week and they were jumping in the boat.

I think I’m going somewhere Sunday. I think I’m just taking my small aluminum boat. I’m thinking maybe a pond down state for some pickerel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• They've already stocked trout and started fishing in Tidbury and Newton ponds so unless you want to deal with crowds and crossed lines, I'd steer clear of those two.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I hit the sass last week. Only caught a few small stripers, some perch, one largemouth and a big ass carp. Installing new electronics on my boat tomorrow. If it’s all done I may hit a pond or maybe the sass again on Wednesday.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Like Spedly said, depends on time/effort and if I'm taking the boys out with me or not. Typically, if the boys are with me, we'll hit up local ponds like Lums or Becks. Trout season is about to begin and they really like that since it's a bit more action than sitting on the banks of a pond. I've taken them down to the jetty at DE City and fished the canal a few times but that only holds their attention for so long before they're off playing. There is a small pond in our neighborhood that we haven't hit up yet. Probably not a lot in there though.

• aside from the beach, where do most people fish? DE Bay, Chesapeake (including the 5 rivers at the head), or misc streams, lakes, and ponds in the area?

I fish anywhere from the Rt50 bridge on the Chesapeake Bay to its headwaters and all of the Delaware Bay to about 60 miles offshore. Also a lot of the streams and ponds in Eastern, MD and Delaware. Ghetto shark fishing is still one of my favorites.

Are you asking for a specific area fish?

If you chuck a kayak in some of these small nasty creeks you see on the side of the road you may be pleasantly surprised.

• I'm gonna get a license in the next week or so to start doing creeks and ponds again... been only going surf fishing for years. Gotta re-learn freshwater fishing now. :fishing:

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• well, I live between downtown newark and fair hill and would like to fish relatively close to home. I have too many hobbies to fish far away unless its the beach. I do have a boat, but its not for fishing, so I would be fishing from shore. I would go as far as lumbs or the canal. I know white clay gets stocked, and I know people fish in fair hill. I'm trying to decide to buy an MD or DE license.

jerry, it sounds like we are more or less in the same boat (no pun intended), haha

• well, I live between downtown newark and fair hill and would like to fish relatively close to home. I have too many hobbies to fish far away unless its the beach. I do have a boat, but its not for fishing, so I would be fishing from shore. I would go as far as lumbs or the canal. I know white clay gets stocked, and I know people fish in fair hill. I'm trying to decide to buy an MD or DE license.

jerry, it sounds like we are more or less in the same boat (no pun intended), haha

What kind of boat do you have? Most of the local ponds here in DE don't require anything big or extravagant since most only allow you to run an electric motor or a gas one but going slow enough to create no wake. A kayak or canoe can fit most applications around here. Shoot, I've even braved Becks Pond in an inflatable raft before! :thumbup:

• its plenty big for fishing, just not the right type. it the cockpit is carpeted marine plywood that drains to the bilge rather than self bailing fiberglass. the fish smell would never come out. we are looking to upgrade in the next 1-3 years. the next boat will be bigger (of course) and have a self bailing fiberglass cockpit.

I do have a couple kayaks, but fishing from them seems like to much hassle

• During March, I've have numerous outings to Kent County ponds with my fly fishing gear, but I had no luck at all. I'm patiently waiting for the water temperature to reach the magical 50 degree threshold. Soon I hope to fish the "flats" on the bay side of the Lewes jetty.....we'll see how that goes. I've heard people have been having some success at Canary Creek near Roosevelt Inlet.

I'm considering getting a trout stamp and trying White Clay Creek in the coming weeks.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• We did our first trip of the year today and just hit a local pond in our cheap kayaks. We used to fish this pond all the time as kids but haven’t been there in about 15 years for myself and 20 for my buddy. We fished for 3 1/2 hrs. It was a pretty good trip. We didn’t catch anything huge but I got 13 and my buddy got 7. The biggest was about 17” and average was around 14” and only one dink. We also got two crappies about 10”. It was a good trip considering we were hoping only to not get skunked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!