Sidewall puncture

• Last time at Rausch, I suffered a small puncture in the sidewall of a Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar.

I am looking for opinions on the idea of putting a patch on the puncture site and putting an inner tube in the tire for use as my spare. I am not currently carrying some crappy spare - it is the same as the rest of the lot. So this would be a cheap and easy solution.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• some older tire places can still vulcanise the side walls. We have used plugs on side walls for trail tires too

• Last time at Rausch, I suffered a small puncture in the sidewall of a Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar.

I am looking for opinions on the idea of putting a patch on the puncture site and putting an inner tube in the tire for use as my spare. I am not currently carrying some crappy spare - it is the same as the rest of the lot. So this would be a cheap and easy solution.

If it's in good condition treadwise, have it vulcanized and run it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• If it's in good condition treadwise, have it vulcanized and run it.

I wouldn't trust it for anything other than a spare. I'd go with a inner tube before trusting a sidewall patch

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I had 1 of my 40" maxxis crawlers vulcanized and it's the best way to fix the sidewall. I think it cost me $70. Only place I found that does it is in PA. Bergey's Commercial Tire Centers

• Tire balls are another option if you have Billy Knox money

https://www.bustedknuckleoffro…ire-2114-kit-18-balls.htm

WTF are those?!? They look like breast implants, complete with nipples.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Basically they are inserts so if the tire goes flat it sits on the tire balls. Since there's multiple if something pierces the tire that would also puncture the inner tube like you mentioned it may only take out one of the tire balls. All the Ultra4 guys (with enough sponsorship money to afford them) run Tireballs until they were banned because the tire manufacturers complained. For a competition rig they are very cool, just really expensive.

Anyways, if one want one of the 35's I have see if you can find the old thread or text me and I'll send pics.

• Basically they are inserts so if the tire goes flat it sits on the tire balls. Since there's multiple if something pierces the tire that would also puncture the inner tube like you mentioned it may only take out one of the tire balls.

Similar in purpose to the multiple water-tight chambers in the hull of the Titanic that were intended to make it unsinkable...

~ JD

• Similar in purpose to the multiple water-tight chambers in the hull of the Titanic that were intended to make it unsinkable...

Stay out of icy water with those. Just saying

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

I still haven't done anything with this. I was recently talking to a guy about the patch and inner tube idea, and he asked "Why not put inner tubes in all five tires?" I found that to be a good question. Why not? It would likely prevent flats from potential small tire puncture wounds while on the trails.

Can someone tell me why not?

~ JD

• If you puncture it on the trail you won't be able to plug it without dismounting the tire. A small puncture through the tire is just as likely to puncture the tube. You're better off running with slime I. Your tires if that's your concern. Personally a good plug kit is just as good.

I still haven't done anything with this. I was recently talking to a guy about the patch and inner tube idea, and he asked "Why not put inner tubes in all five tires?" I found that to be a good question. Why not? It would likely prevent flats from potential small tire puncture wounds while on the trails.

Can someone tell me why not?

• Adding on the that, the point of the tire balls is that you have multiple independent Chambers so if you do puncture a tireand it takes out one of the tire balls you still have the rest. They work, they're just silly expensive. Maybe someone will come out with a knock off in the weekend wheeler/non-racer budget

• Adding on the that, the point of the tire balls is that you have multiple independent Chambers so if you do puncture a tireand it takes out one of the tire balls you still have the rest. They work, they're just silly expensive. Maybe someone will come out with a knock off in the weekend wheeler/non-racer budget

C'mon Smittybilt!! 8o

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!