Dumb Differential Question

• I understand diffs, just have zero experience with them.

I have a factory Mj D44 id like to get Aaron to rebuild
    for me someday (no really,) but the ?spider gears and
    the main gear are heavily rusted. I had planned on
    buying a new ratio anyway, but for the rest of the carrier
    i dont know how i should prepare.

Are all D44 components the same? When i go to order
    new components, will JK D44 internals parts work on
    an 88 D44, or do i need year/model specific parts?

• Pick up a master rebuild kit, gears and a nice locker. If you are going lower gears you will probably need a new carrier anyway, so may as well get a locker.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• What else is rusted, kinda weird that only those gears would be. The pinion gear is not rusted either?

JK dana 44s are "next generation" and are different than older and most every other 44 put there. Dynatrac has an informative right up on the differences of the axles.

If the parts are heavily rusted, do you know why, flooded axles in deep water with bad breather, bad axles seals, diff cover taken off for inspection and not replaced? I am not sure what vomes in the kit you mentioned, but sounds like everything inside should be replaced, carrier included. The 44's have a carrier break at 3.73.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• yea jk stuff is different and yes if u have 3.73 gears or lower numerically u will need a new carrier if u go higher then 3.73. U can get the new carrier loaded with spiders or reuse the old inners but in your case that doesnt sound like an option. When u look at the cost u might want to upgrade to a lockright or similar or go with a ls carrier like an auburn.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!