Grand Cherokee 4wd Advice

• My uncle is looking for a new (to him) vehicle and asked me about jeeps. having a 98 wrangler, its pretty simple 4 cyl or 6, stick or auto...done (more or less). I am inclined to point him toward a grand Cherokee. I know that jeep has put out different 4wd systems and they have varying levels of success when things get slippery. I do have a few questions

1. his budget 12k max. this puts him in 2010 to 2012 ish model years. I know there was a change in 2011, and the penstar became available which is a good motor. he should only consider one with this motor, correct?

2. active drive I, active drive II, rock trac, command track, quadra trac I, quadra trac II...I know these are what is offered now...are there any 4wd systems in 2011-2012 that he should look for, or any to steer clear of? something with an automatic 4wd engagement would prob be best, so he doesn't have to shift back and fort from2 to 4wd on varying street conditions on a snowy day. he wont really be doing any off roading, but he does need to get around in the snow. I don't want him to get a 4wd system that will get confused trying to pull out of a snow drift.

3. any other things to consider?

btw, he wont do any modifications to it.

thanks

• Ok. Some early Pentastar engines around 2012 had a bad head. Chrysler replaced the one on my wife's town and country free of charge. They actually extended the warranty on certain vehicles.
    That's all I know.

• I have a 2017 with the altitude package. It is 4x4, but all time. No selection I will say it handled amazing in the snow, and I have used it around the property and never stuck (on 20 inch street tires). My brother has a 2004 and hasn’t had any serious issues. 130k+ miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I have a 2017 with the altitude package. It is 4x4, but all time. No selection I will say it handled amazing in the snow, and I have used it around the property and never stuck (on 20 inch street tires). My brother has a 2004 and hasn’t had any serious issues. 130k+ miles.

I have a 2007 V8, 4x4 high all the time 117k miles and haven’t had any problems either

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!