Jeep trailer

• So after buying a new to me F150 and retiring the XJ as the DD I intend to pick up a Jeep trailer so we can enjoy more trail time/camping trips.

I have narrowed it down to what I believe is what I will buy. Looking at a steel 16’ wood deck flat bed with pull out ramps and brakes on both axles.

Are there any other options I should consider or advice for first time trailer purchase?

I will need an electronic brake controller as the F150 didn’t come with one. I’ve seen several different ones available on different websites. Any advice or reviews there would be appreciated also.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• The tekonsha prodigys are pretty good. I have one in my truck, no problems with it. Get LED lights if it is not alot more money as they can be added relatively cheap.

Aluminum trailer would be sweet, but alot more money. Less weight to tow and more carrying capacity.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Tekonska controllers are pretty much the standard, I think. I've got their Primus IQ model in my Jeep and it's been awesome. Easy to tune, got it set up for towing my camping trailer on the highway perfect, and bump up the boost one level when I'm on serious hills for a little extra help.

x2 on LED lights, they're bright and activate faster than your trucks lights for a little bit of added safety.

For the trailer, spring for an extra set or two of tiedown locations and either a tongue box or a box inside the deck for storing gear (chains and straps, maybe a fire extinguisher). Maybe see if the front of the deck is strong enough to mount a winch, even if you don't plan on running one right now. Either that or a strong tiedown loop that you could use the Jeeps winch to pull itself up.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I bought an Appalachian car trailer. It meets all the things you describe and you can pick up a new one for what people are asking for a car trailer used.

Unless your on a limited budget get an 18’ trailer if not 20’. Also stepping up to a 10k trailer allows more flexibility in the future.

Get stake pockets and rub rails too. They allow you to strap down anywhere along the perimeter and also allow the use of the ramps on the sides of the trailer for loading mowers and atvs. I also ordered an optional 3 rd ramp so I can but 3 ramps together for stuff other then cars. In addition I ordered a winch mounting plate.

I also recommend the technosha prodigy brake controller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I agree. I have a 18' trailer rated at 7k. I am constantly battling the 7k rating. I wish it was a 10k but I use mine on a regular basis. One thing I like about mine is that it has 83 inches between the fenders so I can fit most anything with out issue. The fenders are also only 8 inches high so I can put a miata on it and still open the doors. Mine also has a huge dovetail (4+ feet) that makes loading cars easier but drags on everything.

• Looks like Appalachian Trailers has the best deal so far. 18’ 10k for just over 3k. My only concern is the dove tail but it is only 2’.

Thanks for all of the help and info. Greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 feet will be fine.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• Ive looked at them too but was told to stay away, their quality just isnt there, thats why they are so cheap in comparison

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!