motor swap

• Just curious how hard it is to swap a 6 cyl into a jeep YJ 1995 that has a 4 cyl with auto trans?? what would you need to do the swap..

• r u keeping it an auto? Its much easier to go with an xj 4.0l and aw-4 as far as availability. Yj 6cly autos r hard to find not sure if a tj 3spd will work, but u need the tc, flywheel, sheild, dip stick and little parts. Good thing is if u go 3spd driveshafts all work and with a couple of bellhousing brackets found on ebay it will look factory. For a motor u will need a 91-95 xj or yj fuel injection, computer and harness. I just add the 2 injectors wiring to the 4cyl harness and computer connector. Everything else is the same. For the motor i think pre 2000 blocks work best but a post 2000 will work if u swap the distributor from an early motor in. To mount the motor u will need to remount the frame horns, best is to use 6 cyl horns from a donor. The 6cly requires a different power steering hose and pump, resi attached. All the accessories and brackets move over but the 4 cly alt bracket is different, also on ebay.

Also 4cly tcase has a 21 spline input and the 6cyl stuff is 23 spline so that needs swaped out too.

I think thats most of it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!