94 XJ Sport advice

• Ok I have dibs on a rust free 94 XJ sport..

The Good
    55k original miles. 4.0l HO , six with 5 speed manual. Red 4 door. New tires, clutch, cold AC , Outstanding condition and paint , with perfect interior. Pretty much garage kept for 23 years.

The Owner is asking $3k.

The Bad,
    Intermittent check engine light.. I'm sure it minor. Very small dent on the passenger fender.

Not a lot of low mileage survivors out there. I am going out Sunday to check it out / buy it if its right for me.

Advice ?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Check the frame for rust... it might be garage kept, but that doesnt mean the winter salt was washed off/out after every drive. Specifically check around the control arm mounts, crossmember and the rear shackle hangars. Also, check the floorboards, front footwells and rear passenger footwell (seems to rust easier over the exhaust there).

The old engines are pretty much bulletproof, it's just the later years that had issues. Probably the O2 sensor or something silly.

The price is more than fair... they could probably be asking $5000 if it's as good as described.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thanks, I dig the manual trans too. Miss it since converting the Scrambler to an auto.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• I just got back from seeing the 94 XJ. It was a real nice Jeep, and the red paint really looks new. Purrs like a kitten. There was no rust anywhere or issues of any kind that you might see in a later XJ. But there was more than a just a front fender dent... It looks like it got rear ended and pushed into another car at some point. So both bumpers are smashed, rear passenger quarter panel was dented. Front end looked slightly tweaked, the lift gate had some real funky gaps and a nice crack in the fiber glass. The passenger tail light looks like it was JB welded in place. It will need 4 tires (the ones on it are dry rotted cracks between treads) , and a new cat and likely a muffler and other exhaust work . Will likely need a new serpentine belt. The interior was nice but pretty dirty and clearly smoked in. I didn't test drive it, after seeing it , I would not pay his prices. he did go down to $2800 but I passed. I expected it to be in outstanding shape. Still it has great potential is probably still worth the asking price. I am not willing to put another $1000+ into it at this time.

• Oh yeah, if someone is interested in the Jeep , let me know,... Ill pass his number.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!