Winch stopped working

• Winch stopped working

Went to use my winch (Warn 9.5 XP) to pull a bush out and got no power. Messed with the ground cable (grounded to the battery) and eventually got it to work for a few seconds before it stopped working. I noticed that one of the pins on my control had pushed in. Unable to keep it pulled out I ordered a new control. Still nothing. The relays don't have any corrosion on them and look fine. Haven't tested them yet. My battery has two sets of posts; one set used solely for the winch. I'm wondering if the ground post on the battery is bad, if the relays are bad, or if it's something else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      Americans are not a particular people from a particular place or a particular religion. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, anywhere, is an American.
    • Winch stopped working

I won't have time today. Have to pack for a trip

But thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      Americans are not a particular people from a particular place or a particular religion. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, anywhere, is an American.
    • Slimer wrote:

My battery has two sets of posts; one set used solely for the winch. I'm wondering if the ground post on the battery is bad, if the relays are bad, or if it's something else.

2000sahara wrote:

If you have a dual post battery make sure your winch is hooked to the top posts. That’s all I got

x2 I was always told not to use the side posts (although I'm bad at listening and am guilty of temp using them on occasion) for high-draw accessories like winches as the leads are smaller and prone to burning out. I'd test with some jumper cables or by moving the winch leads to the top posts and retest if you are using the sides. If not it sounds like you're into testing relays....a power probe makes that much easier from experience but a simple jumper wire to the coil lead on the solenoid can suffice.

--Ian
      '99 TJ w/ stuff aka "a bolt-on (censored)-er"
      and a '01 Ford PSD CC LWB to pull it

both slow _and_ stupid...