Recovery Winch

• I have a nice Warn 9.5 XP. Got it 12 years ago. Used it maybe 5 times, twice in recovery applications.

Just to give you an idea of frequency of use. On the trail everyone has straps and that's typically what's used most from what I've seen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Mine is a Warn XD9000i with synthetic rope that I bought used from a club member. I've "pulled cable" many times when a strap wouldn't do and have pushed the Warn ridiculously hard without any issue. If you're going to wheel regularly and wheel hard, get a Warn. And go for synthetic rope for safety. Steel winch cables and Hi-Lift jacks scare me.

• Not to dig up the age old Winch vs Lockers debate, but are you locked ? Personally I am on the locker side of the debate. There are plenty of upgrades tat should be added before a winch. Skid plates , rocker protection, lockers , gears ..ect.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Personally, I'm a fan of Superwinch, but a few of the cheaper options like Quadratec and Smittybilt have been refined a lot over the last 5 years. I run some stupid trails solo, so I have to trust my winch more than most folks.

The Smittybilt XRC-9.5 Gen 2 is a pretty good deal for $299. https://www.quadratec.com/products/92122_1200_07.htm The catch with the winches with the box on top is that they're not weather sealed and don't like being submerged. Just keep that in mind. :)

But, since you just recently got your Jeep, maybe look at other gear first... Engine/trans skids, rocker guards, steel bumpers (need something to mount the winch on!), etc. After that, it depends on your offroading style and asthetics. :) My current Jeep had a winch before a lift kit, most people will do a lift long before a winch.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I had a Quadratec winch on my jku and loved it. I did some serious pulls with it and it never failed me. I had an insider tell me to abuse it during the warranty, and if it survived the warranty period it would be good. It was. Jeeps, tractors, stumps, boats.....never failed me. To that point, if I had a grand to spend on a winch, I’d buy a warn...but for 400 bucks I’d buy another Quadratec winch without a second thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• And often have opportunities to win a winch in various raffles through out the year. At least in the past...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'm in the same camp as Whatevah. I run solo a lot and although I try to be smart about things (some things more than others 8) ) I went with a Warn M8000 about 10 years ago and it continues to be one of the best investments I've made, however I would not be afraid to buy a Qtec or Smitty one. Synthetic winch line is worth it as well. just my .02, G

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!