Head cracked?

• I have a 01 XJ that I suspect might have a cracked head but how do I know for sure?
    The cap has a super small amount of milky sludge in it.
    My oil pressure is super low (0 when idle 10-20 when driving)
    Losing coolent pretty regularly.
    Sounds like a diesel.
    This are all relatively new problems so if it is cracked I imagine it happened within the last few weeks.

And what would this roughly cost to fix?
    And help is greatly appreciated.

• If it's an 01 with the 0331 head then it's probably cracked or will eventually crack. Other people I know of how have had it had more catastrophic failures than what you describe. I know @astape has done swaps for other members, find a non-0331 replacement and talk to him about pricing.

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053502

• there is a kit u can use that will determine if u r getting exhaust gases in to the coolant system.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-7…ak-Detector/dp/B0007ZDRUI

Head gaskets r not that hard but u would want to get the head magnafuxed to check for cracks and depending on miles u may want to have the valves done.

• When the head cracked on my 2000XJ, i could take off the oil fill cap and look down the hole and could see the crack. I discovered it in the first day or 2 as I had just checked all fluids, realized heat did not work so good and found crack. I got a head from Clearwater cylinder heads, put ~60k on it with no issues.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• on my 01 i could open the oil cap and look in see coolant bubbling on the casting and had the same issues you had. stop driving it now before you blow, mine ended up throwing #6 rod bearing so i had to do a full rebuild

• Check the compression of each cylinder. If you're oil is milky that's a sign you're getting water in it which would probably be getting in through your coolant passages. That's not good as antifreeze can trash your motor. What does your exhause smoke look like? Is it excessive? Do you have an abundance of pressure coming out of the valve cover when you pull the PCV or vent off? (that could be blow by from bad rings as well)

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Exhaust looks normal. Oil looks normal too. The only reason I suspect this is because of low oil pressure and losing coolent. The coolent reservoir is dark too. I doubt this thing has ever been flushed or had it’s hoses changed either. It’s new to me.
    Gonna have it looked at soon.
    Thanks for everyone’s help.

• Does it sound or feel like it's missing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• For an inline 6 the oil pressure should be about 15 or 20 at idle and about 60 driving. White smoke after warm up could be coolant getting into the oil. The diesel sound could be a pressure leak.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• there is a kit u can use that will determine if u r getting exhaust gases in to the coolant system.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-7…ak-Detector/dp/B0007ZDRUI

Head gaskets r not that hard but u would want to get the head magnafuxed to check for cracks and depending on miles u may want to have the valves done.

Does Jody sell those too?

I have a head if you end up needing one. I will check the casting number on it but its fresh.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!