NP 241 J Dilemma

• Ok folks I will try to make this short.. On out last club ride to AAOA I had a problem show up on the trail in 4 wd. No noise in 2 wd. While on the trail there was a lot of poping like when a U-joint lets go, nothing wrong with them. The noise seemed to be coming from the t-case and sounded like a bearing or a chain going bad. Pulled the case and drained the oil expecting to see metal shavings. Oil looked clean and I strained to verify only some small chunks of plastic to be found and not much metal. Decided to tear down the case. Here's is what I found, the plastic was from the shift fork pads one is bad, the rear bearing on the output shaft seemed a little rough and noisy. Ordered new parts and decided I would replace the chain while I'm in there. Now here is the interesting part according to Chrysler and all of the after market company's I should have a 40 tooth sprocket and chain to match. When my new chain arrived from Q-tech it didn't fit my sprockets. After waiting for over a week for Q-tech to help and not really getting any (1st time in 30 yrs I have been disappointed by them). I did a little more digging and found I have a 47 tooth chain and sprocket!!!
    I'am the 2 nd owner of this Jeep and bought from a dealer I know. The Jeep had less then 18 k on it and was a repo from the AC area. I have no reason to believe that this case is anything but factory. Now the question is why is there a 47 tooth and should I change the sprockets to match the chain I have or stay with the 47 tooth and get a new chain.
    Aaron please weigh in with your thoughts or give me a call.
    :bang: :bang:

• So much for making it short...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• i would just get the 47 tooth. Im betting its available. Im gusssing its just np putting parts that they had on the shelf in the case. Sometimes there r just weird intrrnals, i have a tf999 trans like this. It took several weeks to figure out what was going on and get the right parts.

Im actually doing the same thing but in my 231. When on the beach on july 4th my street jeep was making a lot of popping noise, i thought i broke the front r and p. After tearing the front end apart and finding nothing wrong i ordered a chain from amazon. Its a good bet the chain is just slipping because its streched. The streching is usually caused by heat from low fluid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!