Oil extraction from the Pentastar motor

• Yesterday I did the first oil change in the JK and it didn't go that well. I forgot to open the drain plug in the pan and had to reach into the pool of hot oil to find and open it as the oil overflowed the top of the pan. :doh:

It was suggested that oil extraction is much easier way of changing the oil and I wanted to see if anyone is doing that with the Pentastar. I searched YouTube and came up with no results showing anyone doing it.

Thanks!

• I'm still doing the normal oil change. Using a newer magnetic drain plug, though. I thought a few times about switching to a Fumoto drain valve, but I kinda smacked the oil pan before getting a skid plate, so there's not enough clearance for it. They have a newer model out, but I'm afraid that snow pack could hit the valve and drain the oil. Most winters I seem to get snow packed between the skid plate and the transmission, so it's a bit of a concern.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I use an otc pressure/vacuum unit. It works bretty good but takes a while to pull all the oil. Worth it if u have a hard to reach oil plug.

• i had the fumoto valve on my JKU. i had a 16 inch piece of hose on it and it tucked under my River Raider skid. I could change my oil in about 15 mins start to finish and never spilled a drop. ive had the fumoto valve on my last 3 vehicles (TJ, FJ Cruiser and JKU) and never had a problem with proper protection (thats what she said)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!