Jeep JT pickup info

• Well, Jeep has been pretty tight-lipped lately with leaks about the upcoming Jeep pickup (based on the JLU 4-door Wrangler, assumed to be named Scrambler). Finally though, it's been announced that the LA Auto Show will be the official unveiling of the new pickup. :) :) :) :) :) That starts at the end of the month, so not much longer to wait. If they follow the same schedule as the JL Wrangler, it'll be on dealer lots in the spring. That's a big "if", though, since they've started calling in a 2020 model. Time will tell...

If anyone else wants to stay up to date on the JT, the JeepScramblerForum is the go-to source. They've consistently had leaked info there before anyone else, rumor is that the admin works for Jeep in some way.

For those that haven't heard about it at all... here's a rendering based on the leaked info from last year.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Will it look like this Scrambler at my house? Of course not, but I am curious if that is it's name, what it will do to the prices of original 80's Scramblers which have increased a lot in the last decade.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• thx jerry u r my #1 resourse for jt news. Pretty sure im going to get one as a light duty drive around truck for work. It hits the checks on the list for me.

1. Its a jeep
    2. Soft top
    3. Stick shift option
    4. Enough bed to put tools in. I know its not for hauling stuff im keeping my dodge too.

Hopefully the pricing wont be that bad.

• I'm watching these closely too and am looking forward to seeing the pricing. However the thought of writing another huge check makes me cringe. Although... you only live once I guess.

• Will it look like this Scrambler at my house? Of course not, but I am curious if that is it's name, what it will do to the prices of original 80's Scramblers which have increased a lot in the last decade.

I'd assume values could bump up a little more with the new interest and people finding out about them for the first time. :)

I'm watching these closely too and am looking forward to seeing the pricing. However the thought of writing another huge check makes me cringe. Although... you only live once I guess.

Yeah, the cost is a big unknown, but expected to be more than a JLU, perhaps considerably more. One rumor is that there won't be a "base" model, just Sahara and Rubicon trim levels, so that would bump prices up $5000. So we're easily in the $50,000 range for a mid-size pickup. We'll see... Tow capacity (I think) will be around 6500lbs, so that's not bad. My problem is that it's gonna be pretty long for our PA trails. My JK now barely fits through some of the tighter spots at AOAA, and the JT is supposed to be 30" longer than a JLU. That's huge! So, if I can actually afford to buy one (I'm gonna try to wait 10-14 months after it comes out so there are no major issues), I'll have to get a short wheelbase Jeep for the east coast trails... preferably a TJ (would love a CJ, but gotta have A/C).

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always ‘wanted’ a Cj / wrangler pickup. A jeep (to me) is a light and short- today’s ‘jeep’ is heavy and even 4-door.
    Today’s jeep is definitely not the original concept. Not even close.
    4 dooors on a pickup? Why not 6? Stretch limo what it looking like.
    Good grief! All I would like is a wrangler pickup truck, not a station wagon!!
    Rant over, I feel better now.
    -Simon

• I guess they looked at the stats that they sell a lot more 4 door Wranglers than 2 door models... But the forums have a lot of people asking for a 2 door pickup. Personally, I'd love an extended cab, but that's technically going to still be a 2-seater since the Wrangler seats sit at the B-pillar.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Since it's a small vehicle truck-wise, I'd rather have a two door version with more bed so it would be a proper mid-size truck

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• People think this is a Rubicon model, based on the tires and the large wheel wells. Plenty of room for some 37s! :)

Jerry / Whatevah

• Nice little slideshow from Car and Driver, Jeep trucks from past generations... https://www.caranddriver.com/f…s-longer-than-you-think#1

Jerry / Whatevah

• i could like a 2 door version

i just know im going to hate how they integrate the rear wheel well into body tub if the renderings are accurate for the 4 door

• https://www.jlwranglerforums.c….17763/page-2#post-434673

A Mopar plant worker reports that they were told at a recent union meeting that production will start in March 2019. That really pushes back the timeline we've been assuming. He also comments that the new Dakota can't be built at the same plant, so I guess they're not sharing the same frame (good thing, IMO).

Jerry / Whatevah

• The covered up prototype wheelbase looks loooong, and the ‘bed’ looks like 4 ft. (Maybe)
    So, useless bed, which will get covered by a shell of some kind.
    Pretty useless, I predict FAIL if it’s a 4-door.
    I’m sorry for being a wet blanket!
    -Simon

• again it fits my needs just fine and im betting the bed is 5`. U have both the gmc/chevy and toy trucks that r 4 foor and short bed. They sell just fine. Why wouldnt a 1/4ton jeep convertable do well? Only the price will hold it back.

• Unbolt and remove the rear seats, weld the back doors closed. Problem solved!

Still got a uselessly short bed/ open trunk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• One only has to research the Ford thunderbird to understand how ‘off the rails’ a car company can go and end up with nothing. What started out as one of the coolest cars in 1955 (in response to 1953 corvette) did not stay true to it’s original design intent, while the corvette (still) kills it.

• again it fits my needs just fine and im betting the bed is 5`. U have both the gmc/chevy and toy trucks that r 4 foor and short bed. They sell just fine. Why wouldnt a 1/4ton jeep convertable do well? Only the price will hold it back.

True, it will probably be no different than my son's 4 door Dakota. I guess with it being higher off the ground and boxier lines, the JL concept truck just doesn't look as good.

I'm more interested to see what drive train they put in it. A new vehicle model is a great opportunity to introduce a new drivetrain line.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!