Jeep JT pickup info

• another video from TFL, talking about Mopar aftermarket items.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Who's going to be the first to buy one!?!?!

I would love to be, but I'm gonna try to wait until the summer of 2020 before I order one... get the kinks worked out and give more time for the aftermarket to develop the goodies that I want. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Might be me next winter. Either that or another Dodge

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Videos from Jeep

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Q&A posted over on the Gladiator Forum... https://www.jeepgladiatorforum…but-at-la-auto-show.8481/

Q&A / FAQ

Q: When will pricing be announced?
    A: Closer to when the vehicle goes on sale in Q2 of 2019

Q: When should we expect delivery?
    A: Q2 of 2019

Q: When should we expect the diesel Gladiator?
    A: In 2020 (calendar year)

Q: What are major mechanical differences between JT Gladiator and JL Wrangler?
    Answer:

• All new frame

• Longer and different construction
      • High-strength steel inserts
      • Frame-mounted class 4 trailer hitch with a two-inch receiver and seven-pin trailer connectivity
    • Heavier duty axles
    • Longer wheelbase
    • Longer transmission tunnel
    • Longer brake lines
    • Steel truck bed
    • Unique rear suspension
    • Hydraulic “hydro" mounts between frame and body (tuned to manage energy)
    • Hydraulic “hydro” engine mounts
    • Larger brakes (front brakes identical to Wrangler, but the rears are larger)
    • Different wheels (can handle more payload and towing than factory Wrangler wheels)
    • Gladiator meets SAE J2807 tow test requirements
    • Larger grille openings to allow more cooling
    • Higher wattage fan (800W) to allow more cooling

Q: Can you tell us more about the Gladiator’s rear suspension?
    A: The rear suspension is unique to the Gladiator. It’s a 5-link suspension like the Wrangler, but borrows the upper control arms, lower control arms and track bar from the 2019 Ram 1500. So the rear suspension is a meld of the Wrangler and Ram 1500 suspensions.

Q: Will the Gladiator receive exclusive colors? Will any be available at launch?
    A: Yes, exclusive colors will include Hydro Blue, Gobi and Gator. Hydro Blue will be available at launch and the others will be later availability.

Q: Will there be optional rear locking differential for non-Rubicon models?
    A: Yes

Q: Is spray on bedliner available?
    A: Yes, it’s available from factory and sprayed in-house at the Toledo plant. It carries a factory warranty for as long as the vehicle warranty.

Q: Do the different Gladiator models have different towing and payload capacity?
    A: Yes, please see the Gladiator tech specs sheet.

Q: Does the Gladiator come with an integrated brake controller?
    A: No, it comes standard with an integrated trailer sway controller which helps control vehicle/trailer swaying. If the vehicle senses the back end swaying, ESC will clamp down and control it.

Q: Will there be a Mopar brake controller unit available?
    A: Yes, there will be a Mopar brake controller module which simply plugs into the factory AUX ports and provides brake controller function.

Q: Are there any driving comfort improvements made over the JL Wrangler?
    A: Ride quality and steering are both similar to the JL. Several improvements had to be made to achieve this — longer wheelbase, unique rear suspension geometry, shock placement, hydro (hydraulic) mounts between frame and body tuned to manage energy, and engine hydro mounts.

Q: What size spare tire can be carried under truck bed?
    A: Up to a 35” tire. Anything larger will require modification.

Q: Will there be a bed extender available?
    A: No bed extender will be available. But, the tailgate in the half-open position does provide some extension and it can support 1800 pounds in this position.

Other notes:

• The underseat storage cubby / carrier is removable via four bolts (same bolts as hardtop).
    • Backseats can be locked with a key (using same key as center console and glove compartment).
    • Front facing off-road camera will feature grid lines.
    • There is a Gladiator specific Easter egg ("❤️ 419") in every bed.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Official spec and feature availability sheets attached as PDFs.

The tow ratings are at the bottom of the spec sheet for those interested. Sport has the available 7650lb tow rating, while the Overland is limited to 6000 max and the Rubicon is 7000 max. All models have a Class II bumper hitch (for utility trailers or racks?), with the Class IV being an option for real towing.

Here's the official press release, a good read: http://media.fcanorthamerica.c…release.do?id=20431&mid=1

• Why the 2020 Jeep Gladiator isn't called a Scrambler (https://www.autoblog.com/2018/…pickup-why-not-scrambler/)

After years of development and constant digging by spy photographers and forum users alike, there wasn't a whole lot surprising about the 2020 Jeep Gladiator reveal. But one thing that was a bit unexpected was the name. While never officially announced, the Internet had accepted the name Scrambler for the Jeep pickup and it was referred to as such until just before the reveal. There are reasons for the Gladiator name choice.

Jeep representatives explained that one of the reasons for the choice of Gladiator is because of the Jeep Gladiator concept truck from 2005. That concept led to many rumors of a Wrangler-related pickup truck, and you can see some design influence from it on the current truck. Of course the concept was just a two-door extended-cab pickup. Also, besides the concept heritage, the Gladiator name was shared with the longest-running Jeep pickup truck line, the Gladiator and J-Series.

The Jeep folks also noted that they wanted to avoid the Scrambler name because they felt the old Scrambler wasn't enough of a full-on truck, and the company wanted to emphasize that the new Gladiator is a true truck designed to be a truck. The original '80s Scrambler was effectively a stretched CJ-7, and practically called CJ-8, with a longer cargo area. It was mainly a truck because it was available with a half-cab top. But it was also available for a full-length wagon top eventually. So the Scrambler was more related to the first Wrangler Unlimited, which was a stretched two-door Wrangler, than to the new Gladiator, which has a unique frame, unique rear suspension and a separate bed and cab.

If we're being honest, we don't think the Scrambler name would have been a problem. It's clear that Jeep fans are very fond of the name, and it would fit the idea of a Wrangler truck. But we also certainly don't have a problem with the Gladiator name either. It's equally historic, and even if it wasn't, it sure sounds great, evoking toughness and capability. Perhaps if people are really bothered by the truck not being called Scrambler, Jeep can roll out a graphics package as a tribute to the old models.

Jerry / Whatevah

• I agree whole heartedly. I also have a thing against buying first year models. But we will see what happens. Being able to remove the top and doors is a plus

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• might be me but im in no hurry. Im also not gonna pay a premium to be one of the first ones. Im considering the overland model.

• I'm intrigued, esp given the tow rating. Even the lower rating on the Rubi vs max-tow sport is sufficient for a single car trailer and based on the ratings from the grand w/ 3.6 vs 3.0 diesel the diesel 'could' be higher. I've been considering replacements for my truck and commuter since my commute is significantly shorter nowadays. I'll wait until I see one in person and what they look like w/ a little lift and some bigger meats...hopefully that helps the proportions some.

--Ian

• I read a post that said the diesel will actually have have a lower tow rating due to cooling issues. They already had to modify the grill for extra airflow for the gas engine. We'll see...

Supposedly 35s will fit stock and fit in the spare location. 37s with a 2" lift. I think Quadratec measurements showed the Rubicon has 24" clearance at the rear bumper with stock 33s, so that's pretty promising.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Hmm....not that many of us are super sensitive about driving the SAFEST vehicle. Plus, that's Europe, this is 'merica!

https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-…ropes-car-safe-1830876712

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• one of the things i like is that it doesnt have all the irritating nanny crap on it.

It will have ESS which probably falls under the annoying category but I saw someone came out with a device that disables On the JL you can either hit a button each time you start to turn it off, you can disconnect a plug under the hood to permanently disable it (but it puts a warning light on) or you can spend $130 for this which apparently disables it and doesn't throw any lights:

https://www.smartstopstart.com…ge-chrysler-products.html

• A few random things...

Overall length of a 2-door JK- 164.3" (13' 8.3").
    Overall length of a 4-door JKU- 184.9" (15' 4.9").
    Overall length of a JT- 218" (18' 2").

The JT has a 22 gallon fuel tank. Not a surprise, I guess... might be the same tank as the JLU. But, hopefully the aftermarket will come out with a larger tank or an aux tank (maybe a spare tire delete?). More fuel would be awesome for me out west.

Jerry / Whatevah

• A few random things...

Overall length of a 2-door JK- 164.3" (13' 8.3").
    Overall length of a 4-door JKU- 184.9" (15' 4.9").
    Overall length of a JT- 218" (18' 2").

The JT has a 22 gallon fuel tank. Not a surprise, I guess... might be the same tank as the JLU. But, hopefully the aftermarket will come out with a larger tank or an aux tank (maybe a spare tire delete?). More fuel would be awesome for me out west.

Jerry, you should get a You Can.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!