Well, that didn’t go as planned...

• Took the Jeep out for a spin tonight and doing 55 down Elkton Newark road the driveshaft cut loose. Boom! Pulled the rear shaft and drove it home in 4WD (front wheel drive). I’ll be ordering a rear yoke u-bolt Kit and all new 1310 joints for sure. I’ve been meaning to get around to it, this is good motivation.

">
    ">

• Been there, done that. Scares the hell out of you. Did the shaft mess up your floor at all?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Believe it or not, no. I knew EXACTLY what it was when it happened, so I pushed the clutch in and drifted off to the side of the road immediately. Also not my first rodeo with a busted driveshaft :D . The shaft ears and u-joint retainer tabs look fine. Other than the sheared strap bolt and a dent in the muffler, she made it out unscathed.

I'm hoping to get by with these stock shafts for now. I have a t-18 (granny 1st) that I'm saving up to rebuild and install. That will necessitate driveshaft modification at which point I'll probably just order custom Tom Woods :tup: .

• Busted drive shafts will always get your attention. I had something similar happen a number of years ago in an '89 YJ driving back from the beach. Except the TF case slip yoke broke and promptly swung the driveshaft all over the place, denting the floor, exhaust, and fuel lines. Good times were had fixing that while laying on my back, under the jeep in Kmart parking lot. Hopefully your whip is on the mend. :thumbup:

• My 4 cyl YJ didn’t have enough power to break anything........

Then you didn't try hard enough :D . I once hit a mud hole so fast in my 94 4 cyl. YJ that it literally ripped the exhaust off at the manifold. I have no idea how fast I was going when I hit it but it was so deep and soupy, it was like hitting a brick wall 55 mph! Those were my young and dumb days...now I avoid mud like the plague.

• Mine was also a ‘94- bought it used with 60+K on it, 248K traded for service on my current ‘12. Went thru a lot of crap with that thing! From ‘the canal’ to buried in quicksand- all good!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!