Sunday March 24th Trail Ride

• This date doesn't work for me.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Looks like im out again! my truck failed inspection badly will be working on that all weekend! i would drive jeep up but thats not inspected was due 3/18 cant afford ticket with the money have to spend on truck.

• Did you guys end up going? If so, can someone grab the club comp plaque off the wall in the office and I’ll pick it up from you in de this week? Preferably Someone who is returning to northern de. Let me know if your able to. Tell them Bernie is aware.

• TRAIL REPORT: A good day on the trails at Rausch Creek, though a little short.

We had five Jeeps: Keith @Stomper, Tim @JkRanger08, Jeff @Down Hill Roller, Tom @ConcreteCharlie in his new JL Rubicon two-door, and me, and two passengers, Tim's wife Laura and Tom's buddy Eric (who was a good spotter for the new Wrangler).

We got an early start with me leading, went out on K and across on to C. I went down into the big hole (about a Jeep's-length deep) on the right and up over the hump--there's a hole just over the top of the hump that drops the right front and lifts the left rear off the ground, making it tough to get over. Tim had a bum clutch leg and couldn't make it. Then Jeff tried it and had to winch (three times!). So the CJ is working great in its third outing on its new 35s. We turned left on C, crossed Pole Line, and did the big rocks on 5 without getting too off-camber. We did the rest of 5, including that pesky flat rock with the drop-off that gets everyone high-centered, then cut across 4 and started on Yellow Jacket. I tried to take it straight on and kept sliding left, got all off-camber a couple of times and had to bail out. Jeff took a better line from the left and made it to the top. Keith, Tim and I went around the left end and met up with Tom on the other side. Then Jeff's YJ wouldn't start, so we put jumper cables on it and broke for lunch around noon.

After lunch we took Trail O over to the back end of Tatas and ran the long blue trail backwards. Unfortunately, Tom scuffed his left front fender on a tree and loosened the side marker/turn signal. That and a little pin-striping were the extent of the trail damage for the day. The new JL Rubicon is impressive on the blue trails in stock form--can't wait to see 'em with a little lift and bigger tires!

At that point we had to head back to the parking lot because a couple of guys had to leave early. We hit the hill climb on Pole Line on the way back, with Jeff and me going through the narrow line on the left (too narrow for the JK and JL guys). We got back about 2:10 and decided to pack it in early. Getting ready for the road, i discovered that I had forgotten to turn on my compressor, meaning my back locker was off all day and I didn't even know it!

A few of us are going back this Saturday, 4/30/19, to do blacks if you want to join us. Next official trail ride is April 13 at Anthracite AOAA. Hope to see you all there!

• We did go. I'm not sure if anyone saw your post about getting the plaque. I didn't, sorry.

Thought I'd share this photo. Seeing this behemoth trying to enter the Tatas trail as we we're exiting was weirder than seeing Sasquatch sitting at a campfire. Our consensus was that his chance of success was 0.0%.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• It was a Raptor. Absolutely gigantic...almost 21 feet long and over 7 feet wide!

There are 2 very steep, short hills with a turn at the top. My tilt meter had us at 29 degrees on the way up the first one. That seems completely impossible for a Raptor. Throw in the tight areas with trees and it was almost foolhardy for him to try it. Glad we weren't behind them!

• Jay thanks for leading the day and the trail report. During the post ride pre-trip home inspection I found a bad TRE on Tim's drag link, he had about 1/2" of play. Ran it down Molleystown Rd and it didn't feel right. Left it at RC and returned later with the trailer. Sorry guys for the early finish but kinda of glad we stopped. I also saw the Raptor on the way back up he looked ok.

• It definitely was a fun day, I'm sad I couldn't bring my jeep. Hopefully I can dig it out of storage and get to the trails soon.

It really was impressive what the JL Rubi could do being a vehicle off the showroom floor in stock form, you can tell it was made for this stuff. That raptor on the other hand...they will have to shoehorn him the whole way through tatas, probably so much so that it just wont be fun. He was from Texas and I guess the trails are bigger there too.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!