Cat or No Cat

• Working on the exhaust on Not BlueJ and we need to build a custom exhaust to clear the 4 link. It's a 2002 and has the 2 pre cats in the header along with the O2 sensors. I don't need to mess with these. The third cat underneath is in the way. It doesn't have an O2 sensor after it so it shouldn't effect engine performance is I remove it.

Am I wrong?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Performance? Good question, it may be there for added back pressure. When my old TJ was 4 link rear i kept the cat there cause it was a 99 and was required. i bought a 6" round magnaflow muffler and did custom exhaust out the back

That being said on a trail rig i would just put a dump after the cat and let her eat...

Also on my current 03 i have a AFE long tube header to install that takes the system from 3 cats down to 1. can't wait to hear it.

• I don't think you need it if no O2 sensors after it. I would still recommend a tail pipe, here's why. My first Jeep was a CJ8. The exhaust after the muffler fell off. I left it that way, with a half cab, it would pass imspection. Guess where the frame started to rust, yep, right above the end of my exhaust system. TJ's are getting a reputation like CJ's to have frame rust issues, it just seems like it is not taking as long for TJ's to have issues as it did CJ's. All the condensation built up and started sped up the rusting.
    A dump will also stir up more dust on a dry trail that a rear exit pipe. The guys behind you might appreciate that also.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• I don't think you need it if no O2 sensors after it. I would still recommend a tail pipe, here's why. My first Jeep was a CJ8. The exhaust after the muffler fell off. I left it that way, with a half cab, it would pass imspection. Guess where the frame started to rust, yep, right above the end of my exhaust system. TJ's are getting a reputation like CJ's to have frame rust issues, it just seems like it is not taking as long for TJ's to have issues as it did CJ's. All the condensation built up and started sped up the rusting.
    A dump will also stir up more dust on a dry trail that a rear exit pipe. The guys behind you might appreciate that also.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

It's a trail only rig. It's getting dumped. Mine is and it doesn't make any difference with dust. Tires stir plenty up.

• I vote no cats, those aloof little pr!cks. I am a dog person - unconditional love.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• The after-cat O2 sensors are only there to check to see if the cats are working by comparing O2 before and after the cats. They throw a code if the cats need to be replaced.

They will also lean the mixture and make it run like crap. Sounds like the consensus is removing the last one won't matter since there is no O2 sensor after it.

• we recently replaced the cat on mine and added a muffler. It was a little too loud before hand. Picked a universal cat from pepboys. Installed with some flex pipe

• we recently replaced the cat on mine and added a muffler. It was a little too loud before hand. Picked a universal cat from pepboys. Installed with some flex pipe

Looks good. You have a down stream O2 though so I could see it being needed. What spintech is that. I picked a 9000 series because of the size and going with a 2.5 in and 2.25 out to create a little back pressure like the cat that was there.

• I'd dump the 3rd cat, the front 2 do most of the work and since the rear isn't monitored with a sensor, you don't need it.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!