Planning my first wrangler build

• Hey everyone new guy here,

I have recently gotten the bug and just wanted some opinions and suggestions on things to consider/research. Looking to get a 4 door JK in a year and a half or so and I am a planner. Just wanted to pick everyones brain to see what you guys thought is most important and what can wait so while I prioritize my build I can do things right. Just trying to have some fun off road and in the mud but still be slightly practical. Things I am looking for on recommendations.

The lift - what brands do you recommend, what size lift have you guys done to yours and do you feel it was too much or too little?

What size tire is good to upgrade to without being so excessive it makes the thing slow

Tire brand and model you guys run

What to look for in a winch - brand, specs ect

Skid plates worth it? ( I am sure this depends what I am looking to do)

Any other odds and ends you recommend that would be useful.

I appreciate any info you guys have on this. Go easy on me as I am new to this side of the car world (as well as Delaware) . I am exiting the low, slow and shiny world and trying this on for size. Also any pictures of your Jeep to go along with recommendations are also helpful because who doesnt like pics.

• Have a 4 inch ome lift . Gonna re gear for bigger tires so I can't help you there cause I'm still rolling stock . Rampage bumper with a harbor freight 9 ton winch . Did upgrade the alternator and battery cause of the winch and lights and other accessories .

0|||||||0

• Welcome.

There are many ways to fit larger tires. How much that will cost you depends on how you're going to use your Jeep. If you want to go off road, the stock size tires will take you through almost all the black and blue trails at Rausch Creek on a properly set up Jeep.

• the stock size tires will take you through almost all the black and blue trails at Rausch Creek

I'd recommend going with 35-inch mud tires and at least one locker in the rear axle if you want to do blacks. I'm on BF Goodrich KM3s now -- great tires! Winch: Warn. Skid plates are very,very important. You'll need rocker guards to avoid body damage on the rocks. There are lots of JK guys here who can be more specific.

• most of the legal offroading in the area is rock crawling. while I did many performance mods to be able to rock crawl better, the mod that made offroading the most enjoyable was when I skid plated everything under the jeep. this let me rock crawl with out worry of damage and made it much less stressful. its definitely not the sexiest or coolest mod, but makes me much more relaxed when riding the rocks

a lot of the jk guys like the AEV lift, I think its 3.5 inches.

the biggest questions that you will need to answer first are:

1. how much money do you want (can you) spend? (both on initial purchase, and mods)
    2. what do you want to use it for and what sacrifices are you ok with? (ie lower mpg but bigger tires on a daily driver)

• I'd recommend going with 35-inch mud tires and at least one locker in the rear axle if you want to do blacks. I'm on BF Goodrich KM3s now -- great tires! Winch: Warn. Skid plates are very,very important. You'll need rocker guards to avoid body damage on the rocks. There are lots of JK guys here who can be more specific.

Having had to get my TJ on 33's yanked out of a spot that Jay cruised through, I'd have to agree with the tire size. And since that spot had me high centered almost completely supported by my skid plate, I'd agree those are vital as well.....

• If you plan on wheeling it a lot I would start with the skid plates. Like was mentioned it can and will make a difference as well as piece of mind. If your budget can support it I would not skimp on these. I tend to beat mine to death!!
    I think the next thing on the list would be a lift or better bumpers. Be careful with the lift a 4 inch is about as much as you can go with a short arm and stock drive shafts.
    Just to give you an idea I did JKRanger08 jeep about 3 years ago, to go from stock to a 4 inch lift, 35 inch tires with rims (5), after market front and rear bumpers and aftermarket rock rails cost about 6k and that was on the cheap side.

If you don't have a lot of trail time I would suggest you come out to some of the rides and see what works and where you want to be. Also don't be afraid to take time to build it up. My CJ took 5 years to build up the first time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!