**TRAIL RIDE** June 2019 Rausch Creek Off Road Park

• Our next official DeJA club trail ride is on the calendar for Sunday, June 9, 2019, at Rausch Creek Off Road Park rc4x4.org. There's a competing club event on Saturday June 8 that involves beer, so we probably don't want to change it to June 8, but we can do that, or change it to another date in June if there is more interest. (Right now, I can't do June 22-23).

This will be the usual club ride, open to all levels, members and non-members. Sign up now with your preferred trail levels and indicate whether June 9 works for you or if you prefer some other date. For more info, park rules, waivers, etc., go to rc4x4.org. We will meet at the park main lot at 8:30 a.m., sign in, air down, and hit the trails by 9:00. See you there!

1. Slowpoke--blue/black, any except June 22-23

• I don't do Sundays. That, and I have a family obligation on the 9th (I think). Plus, I haven't finished the maintenance on the ARB locker. Additionally, I haven't even started diagnosing my charging issues.

Yeah, I know, I know - lots of excuses to not do the 9th.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Which day will it be guys? Kids have a BBall tourney that weekend, but I may test my negotiating skills to get out of sitting around a gym all day on one of those days. Put me down as a definite maybe. Happy to take every cut-out with Andy and pull the winch cables for the real men!

• TRAIL REPORT: another great day at Rausch Creek Off Road Park! rc4x4.org We had four Jeeps: @daddanelena in his long-arm TJ, @ConcreteCharlie in his LJ, @TheDarkSide in his Cherokee XJ, and me. We had four passengers: Lisa with Wayne, Mike with Andy, and Karen and Rugby with me. It was a beautiful day with temperatures in the mid-70s. We got an early start down K and across A to C, then took a left and cut across Pole Line to do 5. We took 2 back over to Pole Line and headed over to the west side.

We cut down J ("Down Hill Only"), which is a deeply rutted and very off-camber downhill. Wayne was taking up the rear when he came over the CB saying he needed to "hold up." We walked back up and found him with his right rear wheel five feet in the air! He said he was "talking and talking" -- so unlike Wayne, he's such a quiet fellow -- when he found himself a little tippy. Tom grabbed a strap from his Jeep. We fastened it to Wayne's roll cage and three of us pulled down on it while Wayne put the Jeep in reverse. It settled down nicely and with a turn of the wheel the other way Wayne was able to drive on through. Lisa proved to be a born Jeeper and seemed to enjoy the whole experience.

We took 11 down towards Rock Creek. We were thinking of doing Beaver Creek but decided on 14 instead. It's a very wind-y trail that you could never find if it wasn't for lots of little arrows marking the turns. I then took a wrong turn on 13 and we found ourselves with a choice between 13B and Otters Way. We started to turn around with Wayne in the lead but Andy's Cherokee started to smoke. He'd cracked a high-pressure hard line that runs automatic transmission fluid behind the front bumper to the radiator, and was losing ATF. I pulled out a hacksaw (who carries a hacksaw? -- I've been carrying it on trail rides for 10 years and never used it!) and we found a piece of hose and borrowed a couple of non-critical hose clamps from Andy's PCV and my power brake vacuum line. Andy got it patched and put in a quart of ATF, but it was still pretty low, so we headed back to the office to pick up another quart.

Karen and Rugby had driven themselves up, so they decided to head home, but not before Karen had taken a couple of hundred professional-quality photos--we'll be posting some of the best later today. The rest of us headed out A towards the old entrance and started doing some of the good hill climbs down in that area. We were running along C2 when Wayne's engine suddenly quit. Tom was in front of him and volunteered to hook up a tow strap. C2 is a blue trail and we had to use Wayne's winch and hook up a second tow strap between Tom's Jeep and Andy's to get all the way up the hill to K, where we could turn left and take A back to the parking lot. Tom pulled Wayne back up onto his trailer before heading out himself. Andy and I poked around on the comp course (with Mike driving the Cherokee) then headed home too.

All in all a great day with no trail damage and lots of fun challenges.

We have another Rausch Creek trail ride scheduled for Saturday July 20. Hope to see you there!

• Karen's photos are posted in Gallery. Click on the image to see more.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!