89 Comanche. What’s it worth?

• Just looking for some input on what this thing might be worth.
    89 comanche 4.0 manual transmission
    About 118k miles
    It’s showing it’s age. Clear coat peeling, floors rotting out
    Idles high when it starts warming up
    Spring over lift and not sure how much suspension
    35s with good tread

• The tires look new and alone are worth close to 1k. Also, @Slimer when did you get another account?

???
    I was having issues logging in unless I was using Tapatalk. Did the PW reset thing a few times before it finally worked.

But back OT...
    I based the $1000 on the description. If the floors are rusted out, chances are other things are as well. '89 isn't a desired year because it's pre HO head. I'd suspect other issues going on, like electrical. And also,
    . was the lift done properly?
    . Was it regeared for the bigger meats?
    . Was it off-roaded?

$1000 is probably a low ball price but it's an opener for haggling. I'd probably go as high as $1500, or $2000 but I'd need to look it over and get more info.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• That’s the problem, without taking covers off I don’t know gear ratios, the lift is done right from what I can tell. The floors aren’t completely gone they’re just starting to go. They’re still salvageable with some sheet metal and basic welding skills. I was thinking if I could get the idle thing figured out and get it tagged it’s worth $3k but that’s a total guess. I’m unfamiliar with the Comanche market

• '89 YJ is not fuel injected (I think) and I don't believe that was a good motor (Renix motor). Find out more about the motor and what transmission is behind it.

Idle issue is probably just be a leaking vacuum hose. Since it happens when as it warms up I would look at the vacuum actuated temp control sensor which is probably screwed into the side of the block on the driver side.

You might be able to determine if the gears have been done by driving it; if it seems sluggish from a stop or shifts at odd speeds then it probably hasn't been re-geared.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• My thoughts are if the idle goes up after the engine warms up then the issue is related to the choke mechanism / circuit.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• john the mj in the pic would have the renix fi system. All computer controlled. I would also check the coolant s3nsor and the o2. They will effect the settings when warm. With the limited diagnostics on this motor its gonna be hard to track down the issue. U just have to go through everything.

• john the mj in the pic would have the renix fi system.

Initially it said a YJ 4.0L motor which is why I questioned whether or not it was EFI.

I figured it would have been a Renix motor regardless though. Never knew what it was about those motors that made people shy away from them.

Trying to think of everything that happens when the engine warms up. If the intake had a crack in it or there was a bad gasket, would the motor heating up make that crack expand (opening it up) or expand (pushing either side of the crack together tighter)?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• an intake gasket leak could raise the idle and should be checked but generally its a sensor issue when the idle raises as it goes into closed loop (warms up).

• I’ve cleaned grounds, replaced IAC, looked for vacuum leaks I’m not finding anything. Pretty sure it has an ax15 but I’d have to crawl under to confirm. Been a couple years since I’ve been under it

Replacing the IAC will cause some high idle issues as well. I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes, reconnect and try it again. There also could be a vacuum leak at the throttle body, or possibly the brake booster line. Also, sometimes an idle issue is compensated for by the small set screw that sets the idle on the throttle body, under the tab on the piece the cable pulls on for the accelerator. If this has been messed with, then it may need to be turned back down again. Is it idling smoothly, just high? Have oyou checked the vacuum ball? Its typically under the pass side front bumper, but since you have an aftermarket bumper on there, it could be anywhere along that side.

And FYI, its highly likely it has an AX-15. 89 was a transition year for MJ's for that tranny, with only the VERY early ones having the less desirable BA/10 Peugeot tranny.

• I will go back over what I’ve done already and check the things you guys have suggested. When I’ll be able to do that is the big question. The Jeep is at my dads which is only 20 mins away but round trip mean I need to find 40 extra minutes of free time. Hard to do with a 4 year old

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!