Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Do you guys use them consistently?

I’ve been on the last 3 trail rides and we were using cbs because not everyone had a radio.

The handhelds only came up on one ride.

I’m not opposed to buying one but want to use it. Obviously I haven’t been going on rides consistently but would like to in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• If you get the Boefung I have one of the cables to program it that you can use. That would save you $20. The program Chirp is free on the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I got one similar to the one you're looking at, but I only got a single radio. I just got it this week, so I haven't played with it much yet. I wanted the 8 watts, and the accessories. AND you are supposed to have an FCC license to operate a HAM radio. I'm going to work on mine.

I used to have Super Powers,
    but my Psychiatrist took them away!

Edited 2 times, last by jkjeeper ().

• i never use a CB unless the group doesnt have 2-way radios, everyone i normally go with does and they are just more reliable and can reach farther not to mention they are hand held and dont take up any space or wiring in the vehicle

• I started typing a response the other day and then my ADD kicked in halfway through.

A bunch of us bought the Baofeng's before Moab a couple years ago and I think they are vastly superior to CB's. They're cheap (<$25), have significantly superior range which can be extended if there are repeaters, simple to operate, don't require hard wiring, you can walk down the trail out of your Jeep with them, there's no tuning required so you don't have the one guy on the trail who sounds like the teacher in Peanuts, rechargeable batteries which last a couple days or more per charge, they can operate on the FRS/GMRS frequencies of the little family radios. You do kinda sorta-ish need a license to use it but I'll worry about that when I see an FCC truck in the Rausch parking lot. Everyone out west uses them. I've definitely been trying to peer pressure people into getting them for all of the reasons above and wouldn't be mad if we started getting away from CB's.

• Stafford, if you are not a ‘ham’, the use of a ham repeater is only legal if there is an emergency; then it is perfectly ok. The repeaters are owned by individuals and clubs like Delaware JA.

• Didn’t mean to throw a wet blanket on the subject! Ham radio is cool hobby just like jeepin! But you have the FCC involved, just like you have DELDOT. Doesn’t mean you are criminal if you are a rebel but I’ve managed to stay out of jail in my 66 years here in the good ‘ol USA!

• hi I have to comment on this subject.
    As some of the older members might remember I had both a CB and a mobile FRS/GMRS radio in my Jeep. Well now I have upgraded to add a 2m and HF ham in the Jeep.I did get my HAM ticket KN4JQU and it was not hard at all. Watch using a repeated I have land in TN and there is a off road park for quads near there and the owner of the repeated turned them into the DVD there was 87 people fined. The fined started at $2,500 per transmission it is legal to land any radio transmitting is the problem My first Ham was A Baofeng I have programmed it for FRS/GMRS, 2m, 70cm, and marine.

• hi I have to comment on this subject.
    As some of the older members might remember I had both a CB and a mobile FRS/GMRS radio in my Jeep. Well now I have upgraded to add a 2m and HF ham in the Jeep.I did get my HAM ticket KN4JQU and it was not hard at all. Watch using a repeated I have land in TN and there is a off road park for quads near there and the owner of the repeated turned them into the DVD there was 87 people fined. The fined started at $2,500 per transmission it is legal to land any radio transmitting is the problem My first Ham was A Baofeng I have programmed it for FRS/GMRS, 2m, 70cm, and marine.

Could you explain this a little better for someone that doesn't know all the acronyms?

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

• Concrete, emergency as in; needing a helicopter, not breaking an axle- but I know what you mean :)
    I think Tugboat is saying a bunch of guys using a ham repeater got busted by the FCC.
    Regards,
    Simon

• yes the Repeater owner did not mind at first but then people started to abuse the repeater. Foul langue, tying up the repeater and telling Ham Orators to go somewhere else that they were using the channel. so he spent a month at the park is his side by side writing down numbers and recording. He turned it all into the FCC and they took action.

the Baofeng UV-5R is a 5 watt radio it transmits and receives on VHF 136 to 520 megahertz and UHF on 400 to 520 megahertz. CB radio is 11meters that is 40 channels from 26.965MHz to 27.405MHz 2 meter band is 144.0MHZ to 148.0 MHz and the 70CM band is 420MHz to 450.0MHz

the Family Radio Service (FRS0 is 462.5625MHz to 462.7250 and General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) overlaps 462.5625MHz to 467.7250MHz If you stay in the FRS/GMRS range there will be no problem and there are few FRS/GMRS repeaters. I myself think that it is stupid that FRS/GMRS needs a license it is to me the same type of use as CB. Any questions call me

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!