custom steering setup alignment shops

• I just helped my son put a Iron Rock Off Road 4" lift and a Trail Forged HD Steering Kit (link: https://trailforged.com/product/wj-hd-steering-kit/) on his 2002 Grand Cherokee.

The problem I am having is that the local place I took it was unwilling to do the alignment due to the Heim Joints which have to be disconnected to make the adjustments.

Have any of you ran into similar problems or does anyone know of a shop that does these kind of alignments?

Thanks in advance for any help

• That's a solid axle front end if my research is correct. If you haven't removed the knuckles and the steering was good before you really only need to set the toe-in and re enter the steering wheel.
    The toe-in is a very simple adjustment, just making the tie rod longer or shorter until it measures correct. Can be done on the ground with a measuring tape. Plenty of how-to on YouTube.
    After adjusting that, the drag link from the steering box pitman arm to the knuckle or tie rod can be adjusted.
    Just drive straight for 50' or so and stop, steering wheel crooked. Adjust the drag link with the jeep on the ground and the steering unlocked. Spin the link until the wheel becomes centered and tighten down. It should be close at that point. Drive it a bit and see what you think. If it's still off center, adjust it a bit more.
    If you put a lift kit on you should be able to do this.
    One note here, if the lift kit is properly designed the caster angle should remain the same as stock.
    If the heim joints are on the links holding the axle in place you will definitely need to adjust the caster. It is pretty simple as well and can be done with an angle finder app on a cell phone.
    There should always be some caster. There is probably plenty of this on YouTube as well.
    There is a wide range of caster that will work with a solid axle, and different manufacturers have different specs for this sometimes even when using the very same axles. In general, less caster makes a less stable ride with less return-to-center feel, while more caster makes more.
    If this is necessary it should be done first, then toe-in, then steering wheel centering.
    You don't need any fancy computerized equipment for any of this, and you can do it all on a level driveway.

• No this kit retained the factory control arms, so no adjustment. It does have an adjustable track bar, which had a length given to us by lift manufacture that had to be set before install.

the problem I ran into is the first shop i went to wouldn't do the alignment because you have to take the Heim joints out to adjust, you cant just rotate the tie rod or the drag link due to the bends in them.

• If there are actual Heim joints I'm not sure if they are even street legal.
    The guy might not want the liability of working on them and sending you down the road.
    Heim joints usually bolt in with regular bolts, not tapered studs.
    If they are regular tie rod ends with the tapered stud they can be a pain to remove without damage.
    There is a puller made for them that's pretty cheap. Usually some heat from a simple propane torch and a puller will remove them undamaged.
    You may be limited in your steering wheel centering by the fact that you can only adjust in half-turn increments.
    Also, you will be experiencing more bump-steer with the setup you described.
    You could probably tweak the track bar adjustment to help center the steering if you need to, but the axle might be slightly off-center as a result.

• that shop is just being lazy. If u want to come north Bear alignment or Hollyoak towing both have racks and mechanics that can do it.

• Contacted Holly Oak and set up to have the alignment done on Tuesday. And they were very helpful. also very easy to deal with as I want to tow the jeep up over the weekend and they have no problems with the vehicle waiting there until Tuesday.

Thanks for the advice!!

• Picked the Jeep up yesterday and drove it back home...had to trailer it up there due to sever death wobble!!

they aligned and fixed the death wobble, fair price, excellent work, checked the whole suspension/steering systems and only found that the rear lower control arms should be replaced (we pretty much replaced everything on the front end during this project)

They were very friendly, professional, started working on it tuesday moring (per appt) and kept in touch with me with the progress.

I highly recommend them!!

Thanks Aaron for the recommendation!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!