quarantine projects

• Since we're all kinda stuck at home in one way or another, either from work closing or nothing to do on the weekends... what projects are you guys working on? I just got a welder delivered, but only have a few sticks of tube leftover from my trailer build. Would love to weld up one of those DIY Jeep fire rings, though.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• even though I still have to go to work, you piqued my interest in welding up one of those fire rings! Looks like a good project. Other than that, the jeep needs a power wash and fresh fluid film application for when the beach opens back up in....67 days. Ouch!

• Yeah, I have to work, too... Pain in the butt when we transport a possible COVID patient, 1-2 hours of decon time depending on the severity. But, still want to start getting metalwork supplies and tools. Want to get a tubing roller, pipe bender and maybe a brake, too. Man, what did I get myself into..

I may do one wiring project on the Jeep, but that's firehouse related, not off-road.

My mom got a JLU a few weeks ago, I need to give that a good detail and apply a ceramic coat to it. It's gonna stay mostly stock so may as well keep it shiny.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Let's see, where do the projects stop...

• work on the steps of my deck
    • set up the back yard furniture and pergola
    • aerate and fertilize the back yard (did the front yesterday
    • See if I can get the pressure washer going. It was hard to start and back firing in the fall when I used it.
    • pull apart a pile of pallets for the decking boards to use for my garage wall.
    • finish up some wiring in the garage for a back yard light and outdoor outlets

Then for the JEEP...

• mount the 5 point harness I got from Aaron
    • mount a grounding block and redo my grounds
    • figure out why my amp isn't getting powered (probably a setting thing through my radio)
    • hinge the driver seat so I can rock it forward
    • hook up an antennae I got from Crutchfield
    • THINKING about hooking up the CB and 8 foot whip antennae I've had in the garage all these years (used to have it mounted but took it off when I did the body swap)
    • xyz that I forgot about...

For the HOUSE..God where do I start. So today, my first day off, I spent in front of a fire, lifting weights and watching old movies.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Slimer,
    If you have a lot of pallets to pull apart, google "pallet ripper tool" I highly recommend buying or building one. We fix some pallets at my job and it speed up the process and saves 95% of the good boards.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

• @whatevah did you ever sell your trailer? You might need it if you end up having to bug out!!

I wish I could work on projects. Between homeschooling two kids and money being scarce we're just hanging low.

Yeah, sold it on Saturday to a couple in Maryland. Being at the most essential business in the state and an essential employee, I have virtually zero chance of getting furloughed... so I'm good and stuck here. I have food stuffs to survive for a month if I should need to, water is the only thing I'm short on. :)

I wish I had some Jeep projects to do on my days off! I guess I'll have to resume my house projects instead.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Whatevah, glad you were able to sell off the trailer but also sad to see it go.
    I did manage to do a couple projects on the jeep.
    Rockers Before:

Enhanced Rubi Rails: making it easier to reach things on the roof and helps 'vertically challenged' folks.

Rear Cooler Slide: (no fridge...yet)

I'm not super happy with the slide but it doesn't take up much space so I may run it for a bit and reevaluate. It may be a waste of time for my purposes. These are hard core mods I know! Stay safe everyone :beer:

• Rear Cooler Slide: (no fridge...yet)

I'm not super happy with the slide but it doesn't take up much space so I may run it for a bit and reevaluate. It may be a waste of time for my purposes. These are hard core mods I know! Stay safe everyone :beer:

Any idea how much weight that would hold safely? Would be awesome for our ARB but that's a HEAVY fridge!

• The ARB/Dometic fridges are also back heavy because that's where the compressor is so be mindful of the front tipping down when pulled out. I use the Dometic straps to strap mine to the slide and then I have the slide base ratchet strapped into the floor hooks. It's tight if you try to slide it around but the back still pops up an inch or so when fully extended.

https://www.campingworld.com/dometic-strap-kit-107879.html

How are you going to power it? Hint: join the dark solar side with us

• Finally jumped back into my family history. I'm sort of the family genealogist, and I had previously worked the Italian side of the family back to about 1700 in Italy. This past week, thanks to the amazing Morman genealogy database and the internet, I traced my "Texas" (maternal) side of the family to the year 1535 in Germany.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• The ARB/Dometic fridges are also back heavy because that's where the compressor is so be mindful of the front tipping down when pulled out. I use the Dometic straps to strap mine to the slide and then I have the slide base ratchet strapped into the floor hooks. It's tight if you try to slide it around but the back still pops up an inch or so when fully extended.

https://www.campingworld.com/dometic-strap-kit-107879.html

How are you going to power it? Hint: join the dark solar side with us

If I do run power to it, it would be straight from the battery and connect with one of these. I don't like the standard 12v cigarette plugs. Your solar idea is the best one, but I have to make the commitment and that can be a challenge for me.

The slides are rated at either 130 or 150 lbs. I have to recheck the specs. I would only buy a larger fridge for another cross country trip. I usually prefer a roto cooler because I like simple stuff and on most of my trips I only go 2 nights / 3 days before I need gas (and ice) anyway. I do already have a small Engel 15L fridge that is very handy but doesn't hold alot.

• If I do run power to it, it would be straight from the battery and connect with one of these. I don't like the standard 12v cigarette plugs. Your solar idea is the best one, but I have to make the commitment and that can be a challenge for me.

The slides are rated at either 130 or 150 lbs. I have to recheck the specs. I would only buy a larger fridge for another cross country trip. I usually prefer a roto cooler because I like simple stuff and on most of my trips I only go 2 nights / 3 days before I need gas (and ice) anyway. I do already have a small Engel 15L fridge that is very handy but doesn't hold alot.

My dometic is connected right the the battery using the ARB kit, comes with everything you need for plug and play operation

ARB Fridge Wiring Kit

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!