JK versus JL: Key differences

• Now that I've said goodbye to my 1998 TJ, I've set my sights on a 4-door Wrangler. Where money is definitely a consideration, I have to make the difficult decision on whether to get a used JKU or a new/used JL 4-door (I guess they don't call it a JLU). For those who have knowledge of both, I'd appreciate some comments on the most important and/or useful differences between the two. Keep in mind: 1) I'm interested in a basic trim package (Sport), and 2) I'll do some mods, but I do not intend to do extreme off-roading. Also, can someone comment on the best gear ratio for overall fuel economy with the JL? I see that the 3.73 is not available for the JL Sport trim package with the 3.6L engine.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• We are also considering a 4door JK. Wondering what the best years are.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I can't speak to all of the differences. But I can say this... My wife has a 2014 JKU, and when we were in Sedona, AZ, a couple years ago, we rented a JL and wheeled it all day. She and I both agreed that we liked her JK better. Something about how we both fit into it was different. Sorry, I can't be more specific, but I can tell you I thanked God that evening that we both loved ours over me trying to figure out how to pay for a new one!

• I have owned neither, but I have spent a bit of time in both, highway, back roads, and trails. the JL is much nicer. it has a great highway ride, the interior is a huge upgrade, and it has room for bigger tires than the JK. if you don't want to mod it a lot, you can fit 35s on it with no suspension work, 37s with a spacer lift. maybe @ConcreteCharlie can chime in. he owned a JKU and now own a JL

• There are only 3.45 for non Rubicon and they come with 4.10 only. 3.73 is for Diesel only and that's new for 2020.

JL has aluminum outer knuckles, axle vacuum disconnect like a YJ/Ram has. Better MPG. Stronger ring/pinions. The JL has 8 speed auto vs JK 4 or 5 speed autos. The JL has available heated steering wheel.

I am huge fan of the 4cyl turbo Rubicon. Huge power from dead stop and highway passing. It takes some getting used to. Plenty of gearing for 35/37" tires.

Must have options IMO:
    Trailer Tow HD electical, gets you the AUX switch so no need for cluster wiring when adding lights plus the dash is lacking space
    Cold Weather
    Technology group, gets you the 7" radio but also the nicer dash and cluster, the 5" radio only has a volume knob on the radio itself, so dumb

• We are also considering a 4door JK. Wondering what the best years are.

Steve, I'm far from an expert on the JK model, but it seems that the earlier years (2007-2011) with the 3.8L motor had too many issues. Jeep seemed to acknowledge that by rolling out the 3.6L motor in 2012. So, I'm inclined to narrow my search for a newer model with the 3.6L motor. Again, I have a lot to learn, but that seems to be the consensus.

• Chief, the Pentastar 3.6 is certainly all the rage with kids these days. Wife wants a drop top and I am planning to get a ZJ Overland. Of course the Scrambler stays too. Also have 2 kids on the verge of driving. We could end up with 5 Jeeps.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Chief, the Pentastar 3.6 is certainly all the rage with kids these days. Wife wants a drop top and I am planning to get a ZJ Overland. Of course the Scrambler stays too. Also have 2 kids on the verge of driving. We could end up with 5 Jeeps.

Five Jeeps? I predict you'll be starring in a Jeep commercial pretty soon! I'm shifting my search to a late model JKU, preferably white exterior and automatic.

• Hard pass, has the crappy radio and dash. plus your maybe saving 5k at best

• The 3.8 is a dog, the 3.6 is amazing and has a much better trans too. 2012+ only, imo. I won’t buy an older one for Off road only for myself.

the JL is overall much nicer to ride in. It’s hard for me to even look at a JK after driving a JL.

Every thing I’ve seen about the hardiness and trail upgrade looks more attractive on a JL. Most of what I’ve drooled over are the differences in the rubicon package between these generations.

don’t own either, just drive a few times and test drive both at the dealer.

• I had a 2012 JKU Sahara, and currently have a 2019 JL Rubicon 2 door.

the JL is much, much better than the JK. It’s just built better and has a much better ride, imo. I don’t think all of that difference is explained by Rubicon vs Sahara, but maybe some is. I am a huge fan of the JL.

• in december when I was shopping, I drove a 2016 JK Sahara at Carmax. Directly after, I drove a 2019 JL Sahara. The differences were night and day and at that moment, I knew what model I wanted to buy.

The JL drives much nicer (at least the stock), handled nices, smoother transitions through the gears. The JL Sahara had the tech that I wanted such as the big touchscreen and such.

more importantly, I knew my wife would like the ride in the JL better, and as it turns out, she doesn't just like my Sahara, she loves it.

• I have nothing major to add to this discussion, but I did want to update the thread to say that I'm still looking for a new Wrangler, and that I've decided to go with a JL for sure. I've been in touch with the Enterprise Car Rental office in Newark. That's the office/branch that handles selling their used vehicles. They are looking for one for me that meets my parameters. I'm still amazed at how much money dealerships get for Wranglers!

If anyone has any updated comments on your JL experience -- either driving or purchasing -- please post up!

Also, there is this: https://4wheeldriveguide.com/2…-steering-problems-fixed/

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!