Steering stabilizer bracket

• Question: I'm building some brackets for a steering stabilizer for my CJ. If I use the 3 top bolts on my differential cover to mount it, will this be strong enough?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• u r better off welding the bracket to the cover.

The cover is made my solid. It's cast.
    Is it hard to weld?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• is it cast or forged steel? Need to make sure. Generally u have to heat to 500* i think. Look up balistic fabs instructions for shaving a 14 bolt.

U could also get a fabricated cover from rough stuff and sell yours.

Basically u want to replace a 3/8"bolt in double shear with 3- 5/16 bolts in single shear. One site on the internet gives me the following

Grade 8 single shear approx

5/16 7k lbs
    3/8 10k lbs
    1/2 17.6k lbs

So assuming my sizing is correct 3 of the 5/16 should equal the double shear mount and the single shear mount commonly found on the steering link.

Also note that generally steering stabilizer hardware is grade 2. So upgrading to grade 8 stuff helps.

• Great info, Thinking i will try weld in conjunction with the existing 5/16. , I can always drill and tap later. O will email Solid to determine the metallurgy

Steve

• Well that was fast, I called Solid, and the covers are forged ductle iron. He said I should be able mig weld with a good preheat.

• 1" of weld on two 1/4" tabs making a double shear bracket will be more then enough. Dont bother with the bolts.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!