Yj speedo jumping

• When putting led bulbs in my dash I broke my speedo cable. After replacing it my speedometer constantly fluctuates in a 10mph range. I tried clocking the the gear but I can’t go any further clockwise and if I go counter clockwise speedometer doesnt work at all so I’ve pretty much eliminated the gear. As far as I can tell the cable is connected properly on both ends.

What I’m getting at is, is this a common problem with the speedometer itself? A used speedo isn’t terribly expensive but I don’t wanna buy one for no reason

• i have a cable speedo if u need it. There are 4 sets if numbers in the speedo gear holder and a number on the gear. U need to match the number with the range on the holder and point it at the tick mark on the aluminum tail housing. Doing this wring will destroy a gear or guve u an inop speedo.

Also make sure the cabble is seated properly in the speedo and at the tcase

• Thanks. I never noticed a number or the gear, or if I did never knew what it was for. I’m 99% sure the gear is in right but I’ll check that in case. If anything isn’t connected properly I bet it’s where the cable connects to the speedometer. I’ll have to do some more investigating

• You might just need to drop a some 3&1 oil down the cable to lube it up. Check to make sure you don't have a harsh bend in it

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!