Yj gets hot at idle

• 88 yj 4.2. Starts to run warm at idle. If I bump the rpm’s it cools right back down. Temp is perfect when driving. I don’t have a fan shroud which I suspect could be the problem. Basically my question is, does a fan shroud really make that big of a difference?

• the fan shroud makes a lot of difference in the efficiency of the fan, especially when not moving.

have you recently removed the shroud and the problem just started, or is there no relation to the timing of this problem and the removal of the shroud?

it could also be the fan clutch

• Also check your coolant level. How old is your water pump?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It’s never had a shroud since I’ve owned it and the problem has always been there. No idea how old water pump is but I’m in the middle of rebuilding a 4.0 for it so I’m not gonna spend any money on it if I don’t absolutely have to. But a fan shroud is something I need either way. I’m gonna go ahead and order one

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!