XJ with bad cam bearings

• Well the mechanic just told me my engine is basically done for.
    2001 XJ with low oil pressure and engine noise.
    I don’t really have the knowledge or abilities to fix myself. Or the funds to afford a new engine.
    how much could I honestly sell this for?

• Or does anyone on here have the means to replace these?

Could it be the oil pump? The mechanic just said it’s probably not that, not sure if he even checked. He does not get into engines though, said it’s a gopher hole of problems. Easier to replace entire engine.

• Do you want to sell the Jeep? Depends on what condition the rest of it is in. There is a demand for XJ's in decent shape, so you could get something for it as is, but it could also be worth it for you to have the engine replaced or rebuilt.

• well it would be crank bearings not cam bearings causing the issue. Also these motors generally run a long time on 1psi for every 100 rpms. The fact u see low psi at idle (under 5) is not unusual after 100k miles on the motor. The fact that it has noise may be more of a concern. Remans will be about $2k, good used are around $500.

• I bought a motor for my XJ when mine blew up from (i think) shadyluke for like $500 on here in Juneish of 2018. Had him drop it off at Astapes and got the work done for a reasonable price. Motor had 25k on it i think and was a GC motor. no regrets. imo swap it and keep it. Not enough XJs in the club

• Hell the wrong oil will make a 4.0 sound horrible. Like Aaron said, low oil pressure at low rpms is pretty normal. a new sending unit might be all thats needed there. What's the mileage? Mechanics love to sell engines. its a cash
    cow and a 4.0 can easily run 200k + miles.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!