Shackle bolt torque?

• I put new springs on my yj and it feels as if my tires lift off the ground when I drive over a crack in the road. I’ve lifted Jeeps before and am well aware the springs are going to ride different than 32 year old factory springs. But this difference just doesn’t seem right. I think it might have something to do with my shackles. When putting everything back together I put the shackles on with a 1/2” impact which I’m guessing isn’t allowing my suspension to move

I’ve searched the internet high and low and I’ve found the factory torque specs for shackle bolts, specs for boomerang shackles, etc. But I don’t know that my application would be considered stock anymore because of using urethane bushings. Also I’m using lock nuts and I imagine they’d throw things off a bit too

Does anyone have a method? My dad said tighten them until the nut is touching the shackle then give it another half turn. Or will the lock nut not throw things off too much if I use a torque wrench?

• also, make sure to not tighten them when on a lift / jack stand. you want it together, but loose, and sitting on the ground when you tighten.

does the jeep move "normally" when you get in or bounce on the bumper?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!