Dana 44 vs 8.25

• I’m going to check out a rear axle. Seller says came off Jeep commander (06) which factory they were 8.25 (from research).

Am I getting the 44 and 8.25 mixed up as in they are really the same? I thought they were different.

-Matt

• 2 different axles.

Just do an image search in google to see the differences in the diff cover.

D44 have 8-5/8 ring gear and r 30-33 spline depending on what they r out of

Chrysler 8.25 has an 8.25 ring gear and i think r 28 spline.

• The XJ 8.25 axles were either 27 or 29spl depending on the year. Those had larger axle tubes, so were considered almost equal in strength to a D44, trading the gears and shafts vs the build strength of the 8.25. A D44 is still stronger and more desirable though.

I'm not really familiar with the Commander specs, but it should have 29spline shafts, 3" axle tubes and the possibility of a factory e-locker or limited slip, in addition to being set up for control arms.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Yea it looks to be limited slip. My wonder was would I need to buy a weld on bracket kit. Plus like is it worth building up the 8.25 over like a 8.8 or D44.

It does have control brackets as you stated and it shows the spec to be around 60” or so so close to TJ length. I believe this one is a 29 spline which research says is better than 27.

Not sure what to do it all started because I need a new front axle and found this one on my search.

• More splines is stronger, so 29 is good. A D44 or 8.8 are always better to build on for the aftermarket support, of course the 8.8 is a little narrow for a TJ, but we've dealt with it since it's often easier to find than a proper-width used D44. Sadly, I don't know if the 8.25" brackets are in the proper locations for a TJ, probably not...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Yea, I’m actually trying to figure out what is in mine Jeep now. Took a look at the side of ring gear abs it looks like 41x10. I might have to pull back diff cover see if I can read it better. Idk why he original owner would of put in 4.10

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!