01 XJ cracked head

• So I bought a 2001 XJ yesterday only 123k miles. It was nasty out yesterday and I’ve been painting in my house most of the day today so I’ve done zero diagnosing but it’s been on my mind all day so why not post about it?!

Here’s what I know about it:

-Cylinder 5 misfire

-Milky oil

-Plenty of crud in cooling system

-Good oil pressure

The guy said it has good compression and he’s replaced spark plugs. I’m gonna do a compression test and cooling system pressure test myself later. Also, I take this with a grain of salt but he said the oil is milky because someone put coolant in the valve cover.

Should I go beyond the compression and pressure test or should I accept what is most likely reality that this 0331 head is cracked?

• Cracks can be hard to find. I dont buy coolant in the valve cover. Either cracked head or blown head gasket. I would pull the head, see if there are any obious issues then try the head gasket. You can buy a head rebuilt for $500-1000 depending on parts. You may need the old head as a core.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Oh, crap #5 at Tom Brady deflated levels. Not at zero = not a stuck valve. So head gasket or crack. Time to pull the head, examine the head and gasket. Make sure your order new head bolts with the gasket. Send your head to a good machine shop to be rebuilt or just buy a rebuilt head.

Keep us in the loop.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!