97 XJ front end noise

• I have a front end “growl” at 50mp+ all u joints on front and rear shaft replaced, centering yoke on front shaft replaced, and literally every wearable part up front is brand new. The noise was there before I did all of this so it’s nothing I did.

It’s not there if I remove front driveshaft which leads me to believe front diff or t case? A few months ago I had to front diff cover off and replaced fluid but honestly did not inspect for any damage because 1 I was kind of in a hurry and 2 I was certain the noise was because of u joints which I hadn’t replaced at that time

Any ideas?

Dana 30 and np231

• OK , YJ has a front axle disconnect. Drive shaft would not be turning and should not even be a factor unless the disconnect is not disconnecting. Check to see that the front shaft is not turning when you drive.

I actually suspect front hub bearings. Have they been replaced? They will certainly growl at higher speeds.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Just making sure you were paying attention... 😁 In that case, with no shaft shes quites, sounds like a Tcase issue. Output shaft bearing? np231s are pretty cheap used. I would put the case in neutral and spin the output shaft with the driveshafts disconnected . check for play and noise.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!