Winter Driving in Pick-Up Truck

• I was just reading in another forum about chains for winter driving. That made me think about driving a pickup in poor conditions...

My F-250 is a monster, all front-heavy because I don't keep stuff in the bed. In the rain I get some skidding from the back tires. I imaging it's going to be much worse on the ice and snow. I don't want to keep it in 4wd for the season. Is there something I can do to increase the traction in the rear? Put in 1,000 lbs worth of sandbags?

Any other suggestions?

Also, the diesel has a little plug in front that I haven't tried yet. Is that to keep the engin block warm enough to start? Or does it supplement the batteries for the starter? In Delaware climate am I going to have difficulty starting the truck in the winter without plugging it in?

Thanks!

• Easiest solution would be put a couple hundred pounds of sand in the bed or you could spend the money and get the fancy water bag they showcased on Trucks. It lays flat in the bed as you fill it with water and you can put upwards of 1000 lbs on it so that you can still use the truck.

• Quote from "BlueJ"

In Delaware climate am I going to have difficulty starting the truck in the winter without plugging it in?

Make me wonder where he's moving in from....

The easiest solution I have ever found for the light end of a pickup (though I don't really consider a newer F250 light-assed - he must new to the big truck life) is to get a 1/4 sheet (or a couple) of steel cut in the shape of the bed. It'll add a couple of hundred pounds, sit snuggly inside without shifting or blowing, and can easily be removed with a talented motorlift operator. The downside of course is the price, and its tendency to rust.

• As for the plug on the diesel, I'm pretty sure that is to keep the block warm enough to start.

99 TJ with 2&quot; Skyjacker spacers/shocks<br />33x12.50 MTR&#039;S

• I have a full size Ram 1500 4x4 which is not as heavy as your F-250 and it does great in the snow with nothing in the bed. Just be easy on the "go" pedal and use 4-HI as the situation warrants and you should have no problems at all. As far as the plug, it is a block heater and yes I would recommend using it. It will make your cold starts much easier and prolong your engine life.

• andrew,
    keep 4 bags of sand (25 lbs each) in the back of the truck. center them, two per side, directly over the axle in the bed of the truck. that point is a nuetral spot that won't lift your front end nor press it down further. plus in the event you or someone else ends up off the road in snowy conditions you'll have sand to throw under their tires for traction.

your right - the plug is for a block heater. it usually is a small coil heater that is pressed directly into one of the freeze plug ports on the block. you generally just plug them in at night when you get home and you'll never have a hard time turning the engine over and starting. they are a godsend in minnesota where the temps regularly reach -30 to -50 f. i wouldn't bother plugging in unless the temps get down closer to 0 f. when you do plug them in, take the time to hold your head up to the grill for a few seconds. you should soon hear a slight "ticking" sound...similar to the sound that a hot engine makes after you shut it off and has started cooling down.

lastly, keep your tire pressure as stated on your door jamb. a common misconception is to lower the pressure slightly in the winter. let the tires do the work properly and keep it at factory settings and you'll be fine.
    chris

• Thanks folks!

I'm not new to DE, but I am new to full-size pickups and diesel engines...

I was thinking this may be an issue because I've already had a few instances recently of losing traction on wet roads. 4HI really isn't an option, since I don't leave the truck's front hubs locked in for any length of time.

I like the idea of the steel, except for the price, rusting, and need for a motorlift operator! I really don't carry much, so it's not like I need to pile stuff on it regularly.

I think I'll go with the sand bags. Home Depot? I'll pick up a weatherproof extension cord as well...

• I've never had a problem with my truck, although I did spin it coming out of an Acme once when I hit a patch of ice. It has a traction control device of some sort in it. My wife would drive it to work on bad days and she did fine.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'm sorry Andrew, I thought you were quoting someone from another forum - I didn't realize you asking for yourself.

Trust me, unless we get a blizzard (or ice storm) like a few years back you're not going to see conditions here that will test your abilities, especially if its a newer ford diesel and has ABS.

I'd decide how much you want to baby the motor before considering plugging it in - its a little thing but in the winter it will spin your meter. If you're looking to eventually be buried it in, I'd recommend plugging it in everytime it gets frosty out (big $$ elec bill) - diesels and cold startups don't mix well. Like Quad said though, not really necessary until you hit subfreezing.

If its an older truck, you only plan on keeping a few years, and/or you have no fears with playing with it I'd recommend going veggie. Basically free gas and your motor will last much, much longer, just requires a little extra effort.

• yeah i had a friend that did that and he loves it and he has never had a problem with it. didnt lose power or MPG and he fills his diesel like once a month and that is it, o and he uses it as a DD

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• I had a little dakota 2 wheel drive and just put concrete cinder blocks over the axle. It got through the worst of the snow storms we had without getting stuck. They were just something we had laying around. My dad has a 3500 Dodge Ram Diesel and he's never had a problem starting it in the winter. Just wait for the light to come on and turn the key and she starts everytime. But that's only around 20-25F. If it got any lower we are in trouble b/c that is cold. But he wouldn't need his truck b/c he wouldn't be working in those freezing conditions. He'd take the Jeep out which sits in the garage.

• please dont use cinder blocks int eh back unless you tie them down they have a tendency to crush skulls in a accident...

sand bags good rocks bad....

• I only used them for short trips didn't keep them in there for the whole winter as that is bad on the springs just during the snow for that day. I had a hard cover on the back of it. Worked great and stayed in place with the line-x. Didn't cost any money either b/c we have like 30 sitting around.

• Quote from "Da Mutt"

please dont use cinder blocks int eh back unless you tie them down they have a tendency to crush skulls in a accident...

sand bags good rocks bad....

I'd tend to think a 50 lb. sand bag flung through the air from an accident could do some damage too.

I'd go with snow. It will disperse when air born ( :hmm: unless it has a crust of ice formed on it from sitting too long).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

I'd go with snow. .

x10...did it with the ol' dually. Easier to just empty a portion of the driveway into the back...and if there's not enough to do that, it's not enough to worry about.

I drive the firehouse dually in the snow, and just fill the rear with snow...so we don't slide all over the road.

• Quote from "BlueJ"

Thanks folks!

4HI really isn't an option, since I don't leave the truck's front hubs locked in for any length of time.

when bad weather hits I usually just lock the hubs on the truck and leave em in. I have never had an issue with doing this..

• :lbulb: I have had Pickups for years both 4 and 2 WD. And all I did was what Falcon said. I would shovel my side walk into the bed It won't move around as i drove and it will melt as the roads get better. So you don't have to empty :up: the bed. :note: At work we don't plug them in but it is rare that they sit for more then 12 hours. :rollsmile:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!