ANOTHER death wobble

• I think this is the one that everyone refers to alot... anyway, nothing until 40mph and then BOOM, the entire jeep is jumping all over the place. It continues to wobble all the way until you get back down to 5 mph. Any clues / ideas?

• Heres some things I'v always had problems with....

Tires out of balance or a rim could be slightly bent
    Trac bar being loose or bushing beat...
    Geting an alignment sometimes can help...
    thats a start besides the less common things like control arms loose or angles...

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• one time i had the nut on one side of my swaybar come lose and it did it.you know what i mean one side tight and one side lose anyway i looked at everything to and didnt see it till the last min.

• mine shook like hell after my lift got installed. Once I got it alighed....smooth riding....well as smooth as possible for a jeep.

• If I remember correctly, Jeff goes commando without front or rear swaybars and nothing in their place.

• I just fixed my issue with the death wobble, turned out to be too much tire pressure which would let the tires bouce all over the place, also check your track bar bushings and control arm joints...

• I know for my track bar, it seemed tight at the top but when I checked it w/ my torque wrench, it was off. Torqued it to spec and no more death wobble. Incidentally, I have to tack it back up about every oil change.

• breaker bars are your friends :D gotta love that lead pipe slid over the end of a craftsman socket wrench.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Quote from "matty427"

If I remember correctly, Jeff goes commando without front or rear swaybars and nothing in their place.

Im pretty sure he does too, not smart at all on a coil sprung jeep.. the sway bar not being connected front and rear can play a part in death wobble also,

if im not mistaken he just went to 10" wide rims and has had nothing but problems since, didnt someone tell him not to???

• I run 15x10's and no sway bars but this is on a coil front leaf rear....I think once I put this larger Lift on though I'll be adding the front sway bar back since I'll be a bit top heavy....I need full widths! :up:

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• What on earth would a sway bar have to do with death wobble as it really has nothing to do with the oscillations of the suspension? And why are 10" rims the devil? personally I would rather have the wider footprint, IF Ididn't get my beadlocks used they would be 15x10's.

If all you bolts are tight, check the track-bar mount itself, mine was so wallowed out the bolt was no longer tight to the hole. I ended up just cutting up the old mount and plating it with 1/4" plate and redrilling the hole.

• sway bars are over rated and until someone wants to give me free disconnects i don't htink i'll ever have them. I had the problem a little bit beofer the spacers so taht's not it. I'm going to get it aligned tomorrow so we'll see if that's it. otherwise i hate jeeps.

syke no i dont

• i'm not trying to say that the swaybar has anything to do with your death wobble - i'm just saying that it makes no smart sense at all to run without them at highway speeds on a tj. stock or lifted you run the risk of carving loose turns and rolling. please don't counter that you are very careful on the road and that you don't think that it rides that badly without them - they are there for a reason. and whether you drive safely or not...there are others around you that may not. one quick defensive swerve and you may end up "taking out" a family of four. but hey - it's your jeep...i'm just happy that i further south :)
    chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!