OEM fogs and wiring

• I bought a set of OEM fogs to fill the holes in my bumper a few weeks ago. They were brand new and came with the wiring harness from DC. I installed the lights weeks ago, but didn't hook them up. The dealer said that they'd charge me an hours labor to hook them up next time I brought the Jeep in for service, so I figured that was a good deal.

Well, guess what... now they won't do it. Go figure.

So... who's good at electrical stuff? I'll help/pay/buy beer, whatever.

I don't have (or want) the factory switch (stalk). I DO have Hella 500's already wired and working, so I just want to tie these into the same switch. Or, if that's not possible, I'll order another identical switch from Hella for the second set of lights.

We leave for Camp Jeep on Monday, so any time after that I'm game. I could actually pull it off this weekend, but I have no idea how long this stuff takes. I have a large clean garage, tools, multimeter, beer, etc.

Anyone? PLEASE? Just say when.

DrJ

• Steve, I think there is a law about how many lights you can have on and I beleave the number is 4. You may want to run another switch, but you don't have to order it from Hella, I got mine at the local parts store (the same as the one that comes in the hella kits) because I wanted to run a different color switch for the bumper lights. I'll check in the shed I think I should have a spare switch.

• So I guess separate switches is the best answer, but isn't easy getting the wiring past the firewall into the dash. That's why I was hoping to tie into the existing fogs. How do Grands get away with dual beam headlights and fogs? That's six lights on.

Because the switches are visible, I'd like two that match, if you have two I'll buy them from you and give you the one I have once I swap them out. Does Radio Shack still sell this kind of stuff?

DrJ

• Steve you can run the second set of lights off the switch (technicaly I have no idea about legally). Just don't turn them on, on the road and you will be okay.

All you need to do is insert a relay in the line going to the other lamps (you can do this under the hood). Use this relay as the switch for your new lights. You can get the relay at Radio Shack. Just make sure it will handle the current load.

I have no free time till August but I will be at the meeting and I can take a look and tell you how to do it and show you my installation.

• The plugs on the wiring harness have two wires coming out of them. I can't just splice into the hot and ground of the other lights?

DrJ (electrical idiot)

• Depends. If all the current goes thru the switch and you add two more lights (possibly doubling the current) you could cook the switch. If the switch is isolated from the circuit by a relay you could cook the relay.

It all depends on the ratings of said relays and switches. I can take a look at your setup at the meeting and suggest a safe route to go.

Also what is the wattage on the two hellas and on the two new lights?

• Hellas are 12V55W with a fused 12V relay (duh). Can't find an electrical spec on the OEM fogs, I'll have to pull bulb to see if its marked. Since I ran the wires to the Hellas, I'd like to hook them up together even if I have a second A/B/C switch under the hood somewhere to choose either or both on. I'll buy any parts I need to do it, but getting through the firewall was such a pain that I wound up just going down the A pillar to get to the fusebox.

DrJ

• Quote from "DrJ"

How do Grands get away with dual beam headlights and fogs? That's six lights on.

Does Radio Shack still sell this kind of stuff?

DrJ

First, In the factory configuration when you turn on your high beams, your fogs go off.

Second, Run, don't walk away from Radio Shack. I'm sure you can find a lighting relay kit from other Auto Zone or something. Radio Shack can kiss my shinney metal ass.

Steve (not that hostile)

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Quote from "deadfeat"

Radio Shack can kiss my shinney metal ass.

Steve (not that hostile)

...okay then, I WON'T go to Radio Shack I guess...

:sniffle: :sniffle: :sniffle:

DrJ

• Hey Dr. J, I have a bunch of switches here from various lighting projects that I didn't use. You're more than welcome to one of them.

Second, Run, don't walk away from Radio Shack. I'm sure you can find a lighting relay kit from other Auto Zone or something. Radio Shack can kiss my shinney metal ass.

Whats wrong with Radio Shack? :shrug:

• As far as running both sets off a single switch, aside from any legalities it would be silly to think foglights would be of any value while Hella 500's are blasting a light tunnel into the next county.

I'd do it right and add the seperate switch and relay.

• Honestly, I really just wanted to fill those holes in my bumper. I don't expect them to add anything to the Hellas. When I bought the KJ, they were a $375 dealer installed option, the Hellas were $75. Then I found the OEM fogs on eBay for $90 with the turn signals and harness. I sold the turn signals for $40, and the little vented fillers I removed (replaced with the fogs) for $30. I'd like the OEM fogs to come on, but that's all I expect. The dealer now wants $260 to install the OEM fogs. They'll only do it with the proper new stalk switch, and they say they have to pull my brush guard and the bumper off to do it ("kiss my shiny metal ass" comes to mind here). So, I'm asking for ideas/help. One way or the other, I'll do it myself.

DrJ

• Quote from "DrJ"

Honestly, I really just wanted to fill those holes in my bumper. I don't expect them to add anything to the Hellas. When I bought the KJ, they were a $375 dealer installed option, the Hellas were $75. Then I found the OEM fogs on eBay for $90 with the turn signals and harness. I sold the turn signals for $40, and the little vented fillers I removed (replaced with the fogs) for $30. I'd like the OEM fogs to come on, but that's all I expect. The dealer now wants $260 to install the OEM fogs. They'll only do it with the proper new stalk switch, and they say they have to pull my brush guard and the bumper off to do it ("kiss my shiny metal ass" comes to mind here). So, I'm asking for ideas/help. One way or the other, I'll do it myself.

DrJ

Personally I'd wire them like stock as there's little chance that you'll be using the hellas along with your lowbeams. I have 4 hellas on my front bumper and each pair are wired to a separate 3-way switch...center position is off, up is on, and down turns them on with the high beams. If you setup your hellas like that and the OEM fogs like stock you wouldn't violate the >4 lights law...the headlights on low beam would be on with the factory fogs and when on high beam the fogs go off and the hellas come on. Just my 2 cents.

--Ian

• Wiring them as "stock" would require a new stalk, replacing the headlight/hi-beam switch on my steering wheel. I'm not getting into that, there are all sorts of electrical considerations there...like the airbag. And its another $100 part. I'll wire them to a new switch mounted next to my Hella switch before I pay that much for a new stalk. I'll probably never use them, but I'd like them to be at least functional...that's all.

DrJ

• Quote from "DrJ"

Wiring them as "stock" would require a new stalk, replacing the headlight/hi-beam switch on my steering wheel. I'm not getting into that, there are all sorts of electrical considerations there...like the airbag. And its another $100 part. I'll wire them to a new switch mounted next to my Hella switch before I pay that much for a new stalk. I'll probably never use them, but I'd like them to be at least functional...that's all.

DrJ

Err...maybe I should clarify...wire them to _function_ as stock. Not necessarily using the factory switch. :peace:

--Ian

Whats wrong with Radio Shack? :shrug:

Well, I'll tell you...

RS buys sub standard and rejected electronic components, and resells them at 10x what a good part should sell for. They will resell reburbished items as new. Essentially, they are money and not customer focused. RS doesn't make anything, they just have cheap overseas child labor make thier crap and sell it as if it is an American product. No offense to thse who may have radio shack products, I'm sure there are some OK things, but pretty much RS is just like Steel Horse in my book. Also dont trust the salesman either, usually they know knothing about what you need.

Steve

[/quote]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• So, I'd be back to the same thing. Pull all the fog light wiring out of the harness, plug in the fog lights and run the two new wires parallel to the Hellas. Two sets of lights, two switches. Maybe one A/B switch if I can find one.

DrJ

• DrJ you should hook them up to the lo beam switch because that will be the only time that you will be using them in reality, but if you are looking to use all of you light on the trail at night then you will want to run a seperate switch, this is what i would do plus the extra switch will help fill room on the dash and will look cool.

P.S.-on a side note (not to steal your post DrJ) but i have a switch for my hellas that i bought so that the light would be blue (fav color) so how do i get this thing to work. I can't see the switch at night which is when i need it. any you have a clue what to do?

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Quote from "deadfeat"

Also dont trust the salesman either, usually they know knothing about what you need.

Steve

Hey I worked at radio shack as a Sales Associate for a summer. I resent your last remark. I knew what the customer needed (usually it involved my foot and their ass) and I would sell it to them as well as what they didn't need :maul: (It makes you feel dirty like a used car salesman). The rest is true as well as the last remark.

If you need a couple of resistors or other discreet electrical components, RS is ok but I would not buy any AV stuff or other finished products there.

just my 2 cents

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!