and while they were nothing serious
    they have been big

take for example the last GWNF
    i think at one point we had alittle over 20 in a ride
    i feel that was was too many
    while i dont have a # in mind as to a limit
    i think we should
    share ur thoughts if u like

• andrew i agree with you.. it seems when we hit a few of the obstacles there was a back up.. you took up the rear and prolly waited longer than any of us.. me and my wife were talking about it on the way home also.. we felt bad for you being all the way in the rear.. i hope my going slow and falling behind towards the end didnt frustrate you.. the guy who tagged along in the cherokee from Jersey had really smokey exaust and the fumes were giving us a headache.. between that and going slow to keep the jolts to a minimum for the kids it made us go a bit slower..

• being in the rear didnt bother me at all
    normally keith is there
    but i took a shot at it
    again didnt bother me

just might of have been able to do/see more of the park
    is what i was thinking

• i hear what your saying...
    btw how do you get the coveted "bringing up the rear" position.. i wouldnt mind that if we did like two smaller groups of 6 or so...

• Once again... more trail trail guides means more groups with fewer jeeps. So let's train more guides.

Twelve to fifteen seems to be the maximum comfortable number. I was on a Jamboree pre-ride once with thirty-five jeeps...what a mess.

• When we split up the groups at the beginning of each ride, we take into account who is in attendance, the level of each Jeep and the level of each driver. The more rides people go on...the more comfortable they will be with the trails. This will eventually (hopefully) lead to more people comfortable with leading a small group for the day.

Once it warms up just a bit, I will be hosting a ride just for people interested in trail leading at both Paragon and RC. This will cut down the number of people in each group and increase the amount of ground the groups can cover.

After all of the babble...I agree that the groups should be smaller. Its just not always possible.

-Chris

• Quote from "rdjp94"

i hear what your saying...
    btw how do you get the coveted "bringing up the rear" position.. i wouldnt mind that if we did like two smaller groups of 6 or so...

someone appoints u or u offer

• there are sooo many factors that can split us into sizes that it is hard to limit groups.

ive sat here for 10 mins now trying to type an explanation and cant word it correctly.

i agree 11 is a lot for a group..expecially when you are leading and cant see the end of the line and everyone is radio shy.

when it comes to the breakdown between stock and moderate there is a big overlap. rig size and experience.

stock can be new driver or stock vehicle.

moderate can be anything from a budget boost with a decent driver...to 35's and locked with a learning driver.

for this reason it is hard to split into proper groups without having 3 or more trail leaders....and being in that position before it is hard to lead a group and try new things at the same time.

• I'm gonna agree that 11 was a big group. From my perspective in the front, I never really knew if I was going too fast, too slow, or if the back door was even still on.

When I was first asked to lead the group with Ian, my first thought was to say hell no. After the whole tree thing, I just wanted to take some nice easy access roads and be done. :chicken: After the first trail, I remembered why I started going on modified trails and started looking for bigger rocks to roll over and actually found some even on the greens. I like the higher greens at PAP where I can relax but still find something a little challenging to do.

If I could figure out how to read the maps, I wouldn't mind leading a group of stockers on some green trails.

• I think after GWNF it gave me defintley a differnet perspective on things. I think that 10 or 11 is a good number for a ride. When I went to RC last ride, the group that we had of 5 of us was great. We covered a lot of ground and kept moving.

I wouldn't mind training for a trail guide at RC, and I have begun to get much more comfortable with stock level there. I let Chris know that too...

I haven't been to Paragon, but as soon as it gets warmer, and I get more cash I would like to go up there.

PLUS!!-- I have a few friends that drive non-jeeps, and they wanted to go up to paragon, but didn't have anyone to lead...so it does benefit me to know the area.

• It is a comfort level issue. If we had been at R/C this past weekend, I would have suggested two smaller groups of stockers, but I wasn't comfortable leading at Paragon (I hadn't been there since I started leading groups). Now that I see how well it is marked, I'd be comfortable leading there too.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll offer to lead stockers now at either place. If one of the other ATBs or Chris is there they can offer too, but I'd never expect them to not run the trails they want (with the modifieds). It is their money and weekend too. I'd rather lead a group of 11 than to EXPECT them to lead a second group of stockers. If they offered...fine, if not we'll just have a big group that day...oh well.

If you're comfortable enough leading at one place or both, let Chris know...maybe you too could become a (tah dah...)

[size=24px]DEJA ASSISTANT TRAIL BOSS[/size]

DrJ

• ...and try to remember, when you're number 16 in the group with three more behind you, that a day on the trails, even in a large group, is still better than sitting home watching cars go around in circles for three hours, or watching "What Not to Wear" with the wife/girlfriend.

Perspective.

DrJ

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!