F & R Scout Dana 44s for my Scrambler!

• Last week I bought a set of Dana 44s from a 78 Scout II to put under my CJ. WooHoo! :rollsmile:

Here is the plan for the Rear
    o Clean up axles, Rebuild rear brakes.
    o 4:10s and Detroit. Master Rebuild Kit.
    o New Spring Perches, Ubolts.

Front is a little more tricky and I have 2 choices because the front axle has the spring perch integrated on the pumpkin on the short side to keep it centered.

Scenario 1: Move my front springs outboard. (1.5 inches outside of the frame.) This might be a little better stability and easily fabricated with some "T" iron and a little welding.

Scenario 2: Cut Down the log side by 3" and cut the shaft and re-spline. This isn't a bad choice because the front is 2" wider than the rear so the front would end up just 1 inch narrower.

In either case, the front knuckcles need to be removed and re-welded 7 degrees for better caster. (the Scouts had Zero degrees until 1980). I also plan to use the outers from my dana 30 because they are all new and I can use all the existing brake parts and rotors. Also will be putting in a True Track.

Waiting for some special funding to come in and hope to get them under my Jeep and rolling By July.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Sounds great! You might as well set it sprung over too. You certainly have the wheel base!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Still not a big fan of SOA. But I am hopig with a little shackel, the 1" body lift and all the fender trimming, 33s will roll just fine.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!