Jeep won't start...

• Before the last meeting, the Jeep was a bit hesitant to start, but it did kick over and drove with no problems. Started fine in Dover as well. That was the last time I drove it.... :cmon:

Tonight, I was going over a friends to clean up our mt bikes, and it wouldn't start. It was trying at first, but wouldn't turn over. The negative cable on it is corroded, I always seem to have a problem with that. I jumped it, and it ran well after starting it. So I took it anyway.

Once there, I turned it off, and tried to start it again, and nothing, not even a click. Lights were on inside, but not enough to start. Wouldn't jump either, so it got left at my friends house.

Just the battery right? Not like an alternator or something more?

• Did you clean off the corroded terminal before you jumped it the first time? I had a battery once that wouldn't hold a charge until I cleaned up the terminals.

• Yeah, the battery lost it's charge. It could be the cable or you could have a bad cell. If the battery is close to it's maximum life expectency then just change it. If not, I'd change the cables and give the battery a good charging over night.

Then DRIVE THAT THING!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• when you do get it started, check your voltage reading. if it stays around 12V and not 14-16 volts, then your alt is bad. otherwise just the battery.

hth and hop im not wrong :)

• I did clean off the terminal before jumping it the first time. It had "piles" of corrosion on it, about an inch high. It happens all the time but only on that negative cable.

I was thinking it was a good excuse to upgrade to a red top and new cables. Jeeps never break down, they're just waiting for upgrades.... :peace:

• Go for a yellow top. If you haven't changed your battery in a while I'd just change it and see how it goes. I'm not sure what causes the corrosion but something must be going on. If it will go from dead to a full charge relatively quickly then you probably shorted out a battery cell from built up phosphate.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• paul how many miles on the tj ?
    maybe its the starter soleniod ?
    next time it wont start
    b/4 u jump it make sure the starter wires are tight
    and jiggle them abit

• How old is your battery Paul? If it's more than 3yrs old I'd replace it, if not clean both terminals on the battery. 9 times out of 10 dirty battery terminals are the culprit if the motor wont turn over.
    Since I started using Endura - Heavy Duty Penetrating Grease on my battery terminals I haven't had to clean them, before I started using Endura I had to clean mine at least once a month. It's been a couple months now and no more problems. Just clean your terminals and cables, bolt back up and give it a good coating and forget it. :grin:

• Jeep is a 2000, and the battery is original, so i'm replacing it with a red top. I got some cleaner and brushes to clean the cables up real well, and then I'll get some of that endura stuff too, thanks for the recommendation Donnie.

• Got a new (to me) redtop in last night (thanks Turtle!). The old battery was just that...old, and it had a crack by the negative post as well, so I decided not to see if it could be recharged. Turns out, I think, that the corrosion was the cause of all the problems. It literally about 50% of the bolt and nut on the negative cable away, I couldn't even get pliers on it, it was down to nothing. That cable just twisted off. So, I had to replace the negative cable obviously. Two things came up. The bolt where the cable mounts to the block would turn when I tried to loosed the nut to get the cable off it, but getting a small socket on the end of that (looked like a torx bolt driver) worked.

Second thing was, the original 4 gauge cable mounted to the block, and had a second wire to the firewall. The new cable I got was what listed in the store's computer as a replacement, but I got 2 gauge instead. It hooked to the block fine, but the second wire was much smaller, about 6" long, and ended in a connector. I assume I'm supposed to get the same size wire and connector to hook this one to the firewall right? Is it necessary? Was it some kind of backup ground?

Thanks to Turtle and Quadna for their on the spot assistance! :up:

• It sounds like an additional ground. Try it without it.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It ran fine on the way home without it, just wondering if it's something I should plan on hooking back up at some point.

• Paul, You jinxed me. I went out today to start the TJ and take it for a run and my yellow top was dead. My kids get in it and play and turn on my lights and then don't turn it off. I think its time for me to lay down the law. :driving:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• :welder: Or put a kill switch to the battery since chances that they actually LISTEN to you are low. :innocent: That would also serve as a theft deterrent. Just run a new hot wire to the radio so you don't lose your presets.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Wolverine"

Paul, You jinxed me. I went out today to start the TJ and take it for a run and my yellow top was dead. My kids get in it and play and turn on my lights and then don't turn it off. I think its time for me to lay down the law. :driving:

They obviously don't listen. I told them to flatten the tires, not leave the lights on. Straighten them out!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!