Posts by whatevah

I can only find one pic from the toy run in the photo gallery, but that's only of 4 Jeeps up on a snow pile. :)

If you want to upload them into your member gallery, just reply with a link, so I know to look. Or, you can send them to - I'll take anything over 600x400 pixels.

Some of the pics will probably end up for the toy run website, whenever it gets done.

hehe we'll see... gotta find the right spot for my yellow "Delaware Jeep Association" and "www.delawareja.com" stickers, first. there isn't enough room above my rear wiper.

I know, it keeps me driving the speed limit on Rt 1 and 13. :innocent:

I've only seen 4 other yellow XJs before, and two of those were at Camp Jeep.

man Slimer, I thought my yellow XJ stood out, but when I passed you this afternoon on 273, I couldn't help but see you. I was on the phone, or I would have put my window down to do a proper wave.

Was that color available from the factory?

I've seen your Jeep before, but usually when it was cloudy out, it's much brighter in the sunlight. :)

I'd take 301 and meet up with the Dover group when they pass the rest stop (at Rt 405, I think) about 20 miles on this side of the Bay Bridge. If they give you a call on the CB, you should be able to pull out right behind them if they don't stop for a quick break. The rest stop is around 6 miles after they turn onto Rt 301. If they leave at 7am, they should get in CB range around 8. Well, that's how long it takes me in my car. ;) I used to drive to Annapolis a lot, passed that rest stop all the time.

If you're going to drive solo, I'd still pick up 301. Definately faster than fighting through Baltimore rush hour traffic.

yeah, I drove from Wilmington to Dover on Thursday and only heard the usual trucker traffic on Ch 19. After doing some wiring and using a CB that works, I finally got my CB installed on Thursday and slapped the antenna on the roof around 3pm. I must say, that my XJ looks a bit better with that big antenna. :)

for the antenna, or to mount the radio?

for the radio, mount it wherever you can easily reach and hear it, without it getting in the way. The best spot depends on which vehicle you have, and how you feel about putting holes into the plastic of your Jeep. :) for my XJ, the spot I've got lined up is on the passenger side of the center console near the drink holders. A lot of people mount it under the passenger-side dash, but I don't want to reach that far.

for the antenna, it really depends on which vehicle you have, for a solid-top vehicle (XJ, KJ, WJ, etc) just mount it on the roof. I've seen some run the cable out the lift-gate and then along the roof-rack. For the best signal, place it in the center of the roof. For the open-top vehicles, most are mounted near the back bumper, or on a special mount above one of the brake lights. I don't have any experience mounting those, though.

from some quick research, it seems that the Full-Time option in Quadra-Trac II only powers one axle until that axle looses traction and then it adds the power to the other axle. so, Full-Time means 2WD until you loose traction, and then you get 4WD. Put another way, the Full-Time 4WD option is like the AWD option in a lot of cars.

one site calls it "Automatic asymmetric AWD"
    http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/difference_4WD_awd.html

Recently some new "automatic" AWD systems have emerged. Fancy names like "Real Time 4WD" are hiding the fact that they are essentially sophisticated 2WD systems. Automatic asymmetric AWD would be the best term for them. They are much less capable in off-road settings than full time AWD systems and inferior to full time 4WD. However, automatic asymetrical AWD is becoming more and more sophisticated and offers pretty much everything consumers expect for everyday (pavement) driving.

Here is how they work: During traction loss on the driven axle (could be front or rear) a fully automatic system (hydraulic, mechanical or electronic) routes torque to the axle with traction. This means you have to completely lose traction in 2WD on your driven axle first and then the other axle will take over and try to keep the car moving. So, for a moment you have 4WD (AWD). Doesn't mean much because only two wheels have traction. Once the driven axle regains traction and both axles rotate at the same speed again, the system moves back to 2WD.

this page shows a list of common 2WD/4WD combinations you can find, and a link to the info on the Full-Time 4WD stuff. http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/definition_combi.html

Automatic Asymmetric AWD Hi
    part time 4WD Lo
    (Quadra-Trac II,Grand Cherokee WJ + KJ [NV 247], Liberty, Dodge Ram)

and, after checking google some more... I found this page, which probably does a much better job of explaining the Full-Time 4WD like the Selec Trac has. lol http://www.4x4now.com/bd0599.htm

Full-time 4WD: A 4WD system that can be left engaged on dry pavement all the time because it has an open differential or its equivalent in the T-case that relieves the binding occurring between the front and rear axle. It doesn’t give as good mobility off-road as part-time 4WD, because the open differential in the T-case allows a set of wheels (front or rear) to spin if they don’t have traction.

this nice page also has this very helpful tidbit...

Quote from "BlueJ"

I could never understand why it said "Part Time 4WD" because in 4HI or 4LO it is not part-time, it's full-time. I could also see those unused "4WDLo" cut-outs.

I think it's because you can run in "Full-Time" all the time, off-road and on-road. But, in "Part-Time", you can only use it "part" of the time you're driving, ie... off-pavement only. At least, that's the way I figured it. Odd terminology, for sure.

nah, I was just trying to read what it said... while driving 55mph in the opposite direction. :)

I can't squint and wave at the same time.

besides, I don't have the banner on my XJ, yet. so that'd be hyprocritical. :D

saw the title and was afraid it was me. even though it was north of Smyrna.

Yesterday, I passed a yellow TJ (I think) heading north on Rt 13 between Smyrna and Odessa. I was squinting to read the banner on the windshield (never could read it) and forgot to wave until I noticed the driver waving. lol of course, my windows were up in my XJ, while I was listening to some music. So, yeah... I was in the yellow XJ yesterday. :wavey:

Hey, if you guys need some good photos for the website, I live near Prices Corner, so it's not a long trip to come up to you guys. Might be switching to work full-time with a wedding company in West Chester, though.