Posts by Diablo

Is your axle still misbehaving?

Of course it is. I drove it about 200 miles and the fluid is silver again. This is after replacing the carrier with a brand new carrier and all new bearings. We also put in new shafts and u-joints. I wanted to have a look at it to make sure everything looks okay.

Thanks Spedly! :wavey:

Is the carrier supposed to rotate/spin when the vehicle is in motion? I guess I never thought about it because every time I take the diff cover off, the carrier is in the same position as when I put it back on. :hmm:

The carrier is supposed to rotate like this, correct?

[youtube]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

What does the gear set look like? All the metal from the carrier and bearings imploding probably did not do them any favors

Gear set is 100% fine. The bearings are not at all imploded and there were no chunks of metal. They were Timken and still look brand new. The oil that came out looked like paint with silver metal flake in it (really fine and smooth). We're going to install a new carrier (Spicer) and new Timken bearings since I had bought them anyway. Then as Aaron said we'll be setting backlash. :)

Finally got my Jeep apart and it wasn't just the bearings that were bad. The little spindle thingy that holds the carrier bearings on the passenger side of the Jeep fell off when we took the gear set out. This is what was causing my silver gear fluid.

I'm assuming I'm going to need an entire new carrier and the entire axle will have to be set up again, correct? This is a D30 with 4.88s.

Back again with this issue. We took it apart today, and it's definitely the carrier bearings on the passenger side of the Jeep. I'm going to go ahead and replace both sides. We're also going to replace the u-joints on both axle shafts and check to see if the passenger shaft is running true. We think it may not be which caused the premature wearing of the bearing and seal on that side of the Jeep.

I'm trying to figure out the correct Timken part numbers before I buy them. I think it's:

LM501349 for each bearing
    LM501314 for each race

Does anyone know if that's correct? (HP Dana 30 all stock)

Looks like a lot of material but the gears still look pretty good. I suspect you are loosing a bearing but if you dont have any noise then its hard to isolate the issue. It can becoming from the wheel bearings too. It may also be material from the previous gears that want cleaned out. Really hard to determine over the web. Btw the side gears and spiders should have trust washers under all of them.

Thanks Aaron. I'll be keeping a close eye on it. It seems to be fine for the time being.

Just a quick update. I drove the Jeep to Atlantic City this week which is about 100 miles round trip. I did back roads there and expressway (70-75mph) all the way home. Today I checked the diff fluid. It's still gold and looks perfectly fine. :spinrhead: I'll be keeping an eye on it over the next few miles.

Thanks Keith! Yeah, the H's matched what was on the caps.

So those gears are wearing weird? I'm assuming in order to fix that the gears will have to be set up again?

Is this thing safe to drive, or should I park it until I have $$$ to have it set up again? I know that's a hard call to make - but would you drive it or leave it be?

Alright, it's beautiful out today so I went ahead and opened it up. Keep in mind this oil is new within the last 300 miles now. Everything looks fine (can't see the carrier bearings obviously and didn't want to take the caps off). There were only a few metal shavings that were bigger than tiny specks.

Good call on the front driveshaft. It's fairly new to have worn out joints already, but I guess stranger things have happened. I don't think the gears are breaking in? They've been installed for a few years now.

Thanks for tips on what to look for. I'll pull it all apart when it gets warmer out and let you guys know what I find. :spinrhead:

only on deceleration? I heard a whistling/squealing as you were going down in speed and down shifting.

As said before, easiest thing will be to remove the cover and check it out for chips of metal etc. If it's coming out silver that means its grinding it pretty well, but you'll see chunks missing from the teeth or obvious erosion on any bearings.

It does it regardless of accelerating/decelerating. I put it in neutral so it was easier to hear over the engine. I know I need to take it apart - just haven't gotten that far yet with this crappy weather.