Posts by Chief57

It's been a good long while since I updated this thread. Here are some pics I took this morning. I have left this project dormant for many months, and I've given myself a kick in the butt to get it going again.

Recently, I completed the fender frame work. Thanks to an unexpected generous donation by Scott Taylor, I had a 4x8 sheet of sheet metal to play with. I'm not exactly sure of the gauge, but trust me -- it's heavy! So, last week I cut out rectangle shapes to make the fenders, then went to a friend's machine shop to bend them. We got them pretty close, but naturally it wasn't a perfect fit; that's where good clamps come into the picture.

Then, I drilled holes long the perimeter so that I could make rosette (or plug) welds. I've sprayed on primer and paint on the underside of the first one to be welded, and I'm in the process of doing that to the second one. Naturally, I then sand off the areas around the holes where I'll weld. I just want to give the metal as much protection as possible. I'll hit everything again later with a paint brush and spary. On the top side of the fenders, I'm considering using some Raptor bedliner -- I had good luck with it in the TJ bed.

Regarding the bed of the trailer, the sides will be a thinner sheet metal that I'm going to have to buy. The floor will likely be tongue-and-groove wood...but the jury's still out on that decision. Anyway, this is just a quick update on this never-ending project.

Thanks all for your replies. Here's an update. While on the phone with Q-tec discussing my Fabtech lift (purchased at PA Jeeps several years ago at the Q-tec tent) and my replacement shock options, I got a pleasant surprise. I was told that Fabtech offers a lifetime warranty on those shocks. What's more, we handled the exchange right then on the phone; I didn't need to deal with Fabtech. New rear shocks are on the way.

E-Rock, if not for this good news, I'd reach out to discuss your Pro Comps -- thanks. Shadyluke and whatevah, again thanks for your input.

[size=3]The 7-8 year old rear shocks that came with my Fabtech 4" suspension lift are starting to leak. From what I can tell, I can order a set of rear Fabtechs for $57 (from 4wheelonline). I see that I can order these Skyjackers from Q-tech:[/size]

[size=3]http://www.quadratec.com/products/16016_107_14.htm[/size]

[size=3]I know Skyjacker has a reputation as being on the lower end of the scale, but are these sufficient for a TJ with a 4" lift that doesn't get wheeled that often? Or, to put it another way, if I buy these will I be shunned (more than usual)?! What's my best value? Thanks.[/size]

The fuel gauge really only measures the resistance of the circuit from the gauge, through the sender, to ground. If there is a connection anywhere along the way that has corrosion, the resistance will be changed. It will show up as a different reading at the gauge.

Thanks for that explanation!

Thanks Keith. I viewed the video you posted. That guy's got wrenching skill, but he's no Spielberg with the camera. :laughing: I'll also live with the situation and just see if it gets worse.

This is probably a topic that's already been addressed on this forum at some point, but I'm now convinced that there is an issue with the gas tank or dashboard gauge on my 1998 TJ. Recently, I filled the tank and then noticed that the needle only went slightly north of the 3/4 line on the gauge. This morning I filled it up again -- being very careful to make sure the tank was truly filled. Again, the dashboard needle only rose to just past the 3/4 line. This problem arose rather quickly.

Is this a known issue among older TJ Jeeps? Does the float somehow just get hung up on something inside the tank? Is there a leprechaun inside my tank?! Thanks.

I'd like to see a post here from someone who has attended this event. For me, this looks to be about a $500 long weekend, assuming three nights in a hotel and bringing 2-3 others. And that's not including gas. So, like everybody else, I'd like to attend...but I'd like to get the "inside scoop" on whether or not it's worth the time and money. Anyone?

Truthfully, this was just a quick fix for a rust issue. I never really wanted to apply these decals; they were just an affordable solution. I was ok with the look....until now. I've actually never seen this type of thing happen before. The decals are a couple of years old, and my TJ spends most of its time in the garage. On a positive note, I just got off the phone with Quadratec customer service, and they are replacing them at no cost, with no questions asked. Tell me more about this 3M glue removal product!

Maybe this is the signal I've been waiting on to just break down and get the flat fenders I've always wanted. :shrug: [size=78%] [/size]

A couple of years ago I bought the Tough Stuff "no skid" decals that are designed to go on the TJ fender. I'm just a little disappointed!

The decal more or less delaminated. I noticed it when I was going down the highway and I saw something flapping back and forth on the fender. At first I thought i hit a small bird. So, now I've got the glue portion stuck on the fender and the texture portion peeled back. Ugh!

Super cool! Truthfully, I didn't even recall that TJ's had a footwell light. I've got my overhead light disconnected, but this is still a great idea that I need to do!

Keith, not too long ago I decided to put a plan in motion to do some "father and son" climbs of the highest peaks in the Northeast. (I've pasted the highest peak in each NE state below for your reference.) I figured I had a certain window of opportunity, where my strength and skills are diminishing while my teenage son's are growing. We started with Mount Washington (2013), Mount Greylock (2014), and Mount Katahdin (2015). This summer we hope to tackle Mount Mansfield. I've never really been exposed to bouldering, but that does sound like a challenge.

On a side note, I bought a pair of Merrill hiking shoes a couple of years ago. I had a big problem with them last year half-way up my climb, but, on the positive side, they totally stood by their product when I contacted them after the fact.

[size=0.7em]State[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Peak Name[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Elevation [/size][size=0.7em]Nearest Town
    [/size][size=0.7em]NH[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Washington[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]6,288 [/size][size=0.7em]Gorham
    [/size][size=0.7em]NY[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Marcy[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]5,344 [/size][size=0.7em]New Russia
    [/size][size=0.7em]ME[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Katahdin [/size][size=0.7em]5,267 [/size][size=0.7em]Millinocket
    [/size][size=0.7em]WV [/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Spruce Knob[/size][size=0.7em] 4,863 [/size][size=0.7em]Glady
    [/size][size=0.7em]VT [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Mansfield [/size][size=0.7em] 4,393 [/size][size=0.7em]Stowe
    [/size][size=0.7em]MA [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Greylock[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em] 3,491 [/size][size=0.7em]Adams[/size][size=0.7em]
    MD [/size][size=0.7em]Backbone Mountain/Hoye-Crest[/size][size=0.7em] 3,360 [/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]Oakland
    [/size][size=0.7em]PA [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Davis[/size][size=1em] [/size][size=0.7em]3,213 [/size][size=0.7em]Elk Lick Township[/size][size=1em]
    [/size][size=0.7em]CT [/size][size=0.7em]Mount Frissell (south slope) [/size][size=0.7em]2,380 [/size][size=0.7em]Salisbury[/size][size=1em]
    [/size][size=0.7em]NJ [/size][size=0.7em]High Point [/size][size=0.7em] 1,803 [/size][size=0.7em]Sussex[/size][size=1em]
    [/size][size=0.7em]RI [/size][size=0.7em]Jerimoth Hill [/size][size=0.7em] 812 [/size][size=0.7em]Foster[/size][size=1em]
    [/size][size=0.7em]DE [/size][size=0.7em]Ebright Azimuth[/size][size=0.7em] 448 [/size][size=0.7em]Brandywine[/size]
    [size=1em] [/size]

Steve, your Japan expedition sound awesome!

Is it possible to remove the film on the underside? Maybe take an exact knife, cut the colored part out and replace with a blue film.. clear film and blue LED..?

That's my hope, but haven't explored it yet. Or a clear bulb with a blue film.

Player!

[img width=1200 height=675]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=47229[/img]

Jeremy, no offense taken, and I won't take your money.

Lil' Chief would like for me to get the lights for the automatic transmission shifter to be somewhat matching the blue dash lights. As we know, the bulb itself is clear; there's a green film behind the lettering. Has anyone attempted this? Found a substitute translucent or transparent film in a different color?

In changing the HVAC bulbs, I had one of those "this could only happen to me" moments. Everything was going according to plan and I was almost finished with the job when.... the USB thumb drive that I use to play music in the Jeep (with my Kenwood stereo) slipped out of my hand and fell behind the dash. It happened so fast that I'm not sure if it fell into the plastic air duct or elsewhere. I tried for 15 minutes to find it, but, of course, it's impossible to get back there to do a proper search. I resigned myself to my fate, then went out and bought a new thumb drive -- and loaded it up with music. The next time the heater core gets replaced, somebody's going to find himself a thumb drive.

OK, I've now seen for myself. I have the wrong bulbs. I still don't get it -- I don't know what to do different. I just took a picture of the current bulb next to the LED bulb, just for perspective. Can anyone (Kuntryboy816? Stafford?) give me the correct ordering information for an LED that will fit my 1998 TJ? Jeremy, it appears that I ordered the exact same bulb (except different color) that you ordered. Is the problem that I have a TJ and you have a YJ?