Posts by Kuntryboy816

Easier one, Use the soft uppers from Best Top , the super top version. They work perfect with a hard top.

The full soft doors I have are Bestop and they wouldn't fit correctly... although I haven't tried those uppers with the half doors. I'll check that when I get home from work today. Thanks.

Does anyone know if there was ever a 1/2 door combo that works with a hard top? I just picked up a set of 1/2 doors and with the soft uppers I had, the back of it will not fit into the molded area of the hardtop. I had the same issue with my full soft doors. The profiles do not match like the full hard doors do. I'm at a loss here...

Dawn, the kids and I had a great time Saturday. It was great catching up with everyone! Even though we interrupted a wedding in DE City and saw a captain that can't read his depth finder and almost capsized his sail boat it was fun! These are the only pics I took. Zoom in on the 2nd pic and you can almost hear them saying, "I do!" :peace:

Thanks for the input everyone. I forgot about coming back here to update the thread.

Quadna- True that I haven't narrowed to issue down to the trans running too hot. All I know is that the air being forced up through the transfer case shifter boot was searing hot. The trans cooler has been on the to do list for a while but it was low priority... probably still could have stayed a low priority but it was a cheap quick mod that I thought might solve the issue since the trans is right under the flow/source of the heat. When I had run soft lines for the trans to the radiator a few months ago, I left a good amount of extra line loosely coiled at the radiator in prep of adding a trans cooler. Back when I had the trans rebuilt, the tech at Deltrans suggested an aux cooler in order to prolong the life of the trans. Right now, I do not have any insulation or carpet in the Jeep but I have also not had a heat problem this bad before since my YJ hasn't had any carpeting in all the years that I've owned it. There is a heat shield above the cat and muffler currently and while the floors do get a little warm, the main source of the heat is coming up through the transfer case shifter boot. I would definitely call the heat "extreme" if it was hot enough to cause that kind of burn to my leg. Basically the aux cooler was me finally following the tech's suggestion as well as a way to see if the 2 fluids running through the same unit were affecting each other. I was trying to rule out that possibility and a auz cooler is cheaper and easier job than the radiator. Also it was time to change out the trans fluid/filter as well so I figured do it all in one shot. It seems that your suggestion to run the aux cooler after the radiator is a popular one for the reason you stated. I've read a lot of replies from guys who ran it after the radiator and haven't seen any complaints about that set up. Right now, I just plumbed it as a standalone unit to get the Jeep back on the road. I do still have the temp gauge creeping up past 210 every now and then so there could be two causes to that but I'll mention that in a minute.

Andy- My trans has NOT been slipping at all so I believe you might be on the right path about the catalytic converter. I never even considered it but now that you've mentioned it, I do remember you telling me about the cat when you helped me address the fuel issue and my many trips to DMV. Also the proximity of the cat in conjunction with where I am having the heat blasting through further solidifies your diagnosis. If that piece of debris was indeed sticking the float open once again and all that fuel was pouring into the carb, then it would be taxing the crap out of the cat (for the 2nd time) and has probably killed it completely now. That will be the next place that I look after my ride home from work today. I don't remember making any quick turns or stops that would allow the catalyst inside to move and block up the exhaust but it is a leaf sprung vehicle and the constant bouncing around might have been enought to move it inside the cat. I think the universal cat was ~$60ish so that won't be a hard hit to my wallet. Also when I drained the trans, the fluid wasn't burnt, was still a reddsih pinkish color and the filter wasn't horribly dirty. There was minimal metal shavings stuck to the pan magnet as well and it was silty dust.. nothing bigger in the pan.

Now, in regards to the temp creeping on the coolant gauge... there could be a couple of contributing factors and let me know if my thinking here is logical on this or if I'm off base...

I just installed a new fan clutch about a month back. The old one had siezed up enough that you could see the bearings in the housing so it was constantly turning with the engine. The new clutch now allows the fan to free spin w/ a little bit of resistance when it's cold. If this fan clutch was working properly, shouldn't it be fully engaged very hard to turn by hand if the engine is hot? At the moment, I am not sure if it is doing that since I have not tested it after the engine gets up to temp. I figure that if the old one was never disengaging bc it was seized up that would constantly be running cool air at full force keeping the engine from warming up quickly and keeping my coolant gauge at 195* and below. On the other hand, if the clutch is not engaging fully now, then that would allow the coolant temp to creep up past 210*.

The coolant has not yet reached the next hash mark on the gauge past 210* and if it does go beyond 210* it is always between 210* and that hash mark. The temp only seems to creep up when the Jeep is in Drive, sometimes when idling at a light and sometimes driving down the road. If I'm idling and shift in to Nuetral or Park the temps will go back down to 210* and below every time. Also if I am letting the Jeep warm up in Nuetral or Park, the temp never exceeds 210* no matter how long it has been idling for. Now, before I messed with the wonky gauge and the ribbon circuit, the Jeep was showing that it was running @195* and below every time. It never rose to 210* at all but I have a feeling that was because the gauge posts were not making good contact with the printed circuit ribbon. The only culprits that I can see affecting the temp (now that the trans is out of the calculation) would be the radiator having restriction due to age, the water pump (less that 3 years old) or the thermostat being faulty. Could the washers that I put in between the gauge posts and the ribbon throw the gauge off? This weekend, I'll try and verify with a laser thermometer what the temps are and see if that matches the gauge readout.

I really do appreciate everyone's help with this! I'm trying to "keep my cool" >ba dum tsss< and not get to the point of getting rid of the Jeep although it is testing my patience... again! :doh:

Well if you want to unload them let me know. I am leaving for vaca this weekend so I will not be around for 2 weeks

Yessir. If you want to come check them out before your vaca, I'm not that far from Elkton. I live right across from Glasgow Highschool behind Waters Edge condos. I'm off work and home by 3:30ish Mon-Fri. Feel free to shoot me a text @ 302-750-033eight

My father and I had an awesome time yesterday at out first jeep event. Can't wait to attend some more. I would like to join DEJA and attend a trail trail ride soon. Our 05 LJ is mostly stock with 31" BFG's (for now).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome and we'd be glad to have you aboard! Joining DEJA is pretty simple and if you click this >>> LINK <<< it will take you directly to the page to sign up! There is also a Trail Rides and Gatherings forum that includes the DEJA event calendar and threads for the nearest upcoming events. Come on out and meet the members and we always have a great time!

I was doing some reading up last night and there are advocates for all 3 installations.

Stand alone- allows the aux cooler to do one job and won't affect the coolant temp or be affected by it.

In line before radiator- allows sufficient cooling of trans oil before it reaches the radiator so it won't affect the coolant temp.

In line after radiator- allows the radiator's larger surface to cool the oil and then further cool the oil thru the aux cooler before it reaches the trans.. good for heavy duty apps like towing/rock crawling.

When I drained the oil, it didn't appear burnt at all... still a bright pink color and had that typical sweet smell to it. The magnet inside the pan had a little metal dust stuck to it.. very fine silty powdery dust. I think, for now, I'm going to run it as a stand alone cooler. It's easy enough to replumb the lines later if needed. I'm going to see about running a temp sensor/gauge and drain plug as well today before I refill the trans.

Here goes... for the last several months my temp gauge has been acting wonky. sometimes the gauge would not work and I'd have to tap on the front of it to get it to fire up. So trying to fix that I took the gauges apart and clean the ribbon to make sure the contact was good. In order to make sure the Gage post was contacting the printed ribbon I inserted 2 small washers to make good contact. I have not had a problem with the gauges sense. From there I noticed that my gauge was running between 195 and 210 whereas before it was running 195 and below. Believing that my gauge was off before I fixed it and that the engine coolant was now running at the proper temperature on the Gage, I now noticed that my jeep was warming up much faster than it typically did. I also noticed that when I was driving that the gauge would stay at 2:10 and creep a little over that when I was idling at a light. I also noticed that the transfer case shifter boot was getting extremely hot lately. The shifter boot has always allowed warm air into the cab but it actually was getting so hot that it burnt my leg pretty bad. On my way from Chestertown 2 drop off my firearms at my brother's house, the Jeep started bogging down like it was losing fuel or flooding the carb. I let it cool down for a couple hours at my brother's house and attempted to drive it back home. I got from the outskirts of Clayton into Smyrna and the bogging problem started again. So I stopped at Advance Auto, let the Jeep cool down again, and from there made it back to my house with only one time that the engine started bogging down. So yesterday I checked the fuel Inlet float valve and cleaned it out, cleaned out the carb throat, and checked all vacuum lines for cracks but didn't find anything. There was a small peace of debris that might have come out of the float valve but I'm not sure. So to combat the extreme heat coming out of the trans, I decided to finally run an auxiliary cooler for the trans oil. I also believe that the radiator is original and is probably on the verge of needing replaced. When I experienced the volume down issue I checked the trans oil 2 see if there were bubbles on the dipstick but there were none. I'm not sure if there is an issue with the trans fluid being too hot and warming the coolant instead of allowing it to cool off through the radiator and that is what may be pushing the temp on my gauge up for the coolant. I am also unsure if the overly hot trans fluid is frothing inside the transmission causing some sort of bind up and bogging down the engine. I should also mention that while I was in Chestertown, I was out on a farm shooting but hit a few small ATV trails on the farm while I was there. That could have stuck the float valve in my carb but that still does not answer the question of why my transmission is running so hot. I do not have a temp sensor for the transmission but would like to add one sometime in the near future in order to see what the trans is running at. I would also like to add a drain plug to the trans pan because draining the fluid by dropping the pan is for lack of a better term a mess. The pic attached is the burn two weeks after it happened.

Need some quick down and dirty opinions...

I have a light/med duty trans cooler... 8"x12" single row... opinions on best setup...

1. Completely stand alone

2. In line before OEM radiator cooler

3. In line after OEM radiator cooler

Going to be plumbing this tonight or early tomorrow morning. I've already drained the trans and changed out the filter.

Either the Wawa or chick fill a since it will be closed and the parking lot theoretically empty. Let's try to get In ahead of the main convoy

I can bring the DEJA flags with me but I'll have to rig up some sort of flag pole. I'm not sure if I'm going to make the convoy or not though. If I do, are y'all willing to save me a spot with y'all?